What's new

FW RT AC86U 3.0.0.4.384.21140

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VANT

Very Senior Member
Has anyone tried the new firmware yet? (for RT-AC86U)

region setting on chinese version yes, but languages lost ... remaining only chinese and english

Last edited:
Got my update no problemo. Does anyone know if they've fixed the Adaptive QOS-wireless issue?

Nobody know's what has been fixed, it's a secret.

even the routine to fetch the release notes when a firmware update is available is broken:-

cat /tmp/webs_upgrade.log
---- update real normal----
---- odmpid : ----
---- productid : 3004 384 21140 ----
---- odmpid : ----
---- productid : ----
---- 3004 384 21045----
---- lextendno: 21140 ----
---- download real release note https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-AC86U_3004_384_21140-ge07a2dd_EN_note.zip ----
---- download real release note https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-AC86U_3004_384_21140-ge07a2dd_EN_note.zip [Failed] ----
---- download real release note https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-AC86U____EN_note.zip ----
---- download real release note https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-AC86U____EN_note.zip [Failed] ----
---- download real US release note https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-AC86U____US_note.zip [Failed] ----

But you have to be careful of what you say in this forum, because they delete and censor your posts, they seem to think it's ok to violate the freedom of speech act.

Last edited:
Isn't this forum a private property? Owner has rights to publish (or not to) anything (s)he wants.

I upgraded yesterday and started seeing intermittent connectivity issues as my work VPN connection was going in and out. I power cycled my laptop/router/modem but still having issues with VPN. My NOC said no others were experiencing issues, so I reverted back to the previous version (3.0.0.4.384.21045). Connectivity issues disappeared after that. I'll be waiting until the next release before upgrading at this point.

Otherwise, my experience with the RT-AC86U has been positive. I have a brother who just RMA'd his after 1 month, which gives me some pause. Waiting for AIMesh on the 3200 so I can try that out.

I upgraded yesterday and started seeing intermittent connectivity issues as my work VPN connection was going in and out. I power cycled my laptop/router/modem but still having issues with VPN. My NOC said no others were experiencing issues, so I reverted back to the previous version (3.0.0.4.384.21045). Connectivity issues disappeared after that. I'll be waiting until the next release before upgrading at this point.

Otherwise, my experience with the RT-AC86U has been positive. I have a brother who just RMA'd his after 1 month, which gives me some pause. Waiting for AIMesh on the 3200 so I can try that out.

No problems for my work VPN (Cisco AnyConnect client).

Has this version fixed the AiProtection going offline after a few days and requiring a reboot to restore functionality?

My AiMesh setup can be seen in my signature. I have been running this new firmware since its release. Here is what I have noticed after a factory reset of all nodes and Main (manually reconfigured settings), after firmware update applied:

1. The WIFI signal strength seems a little weaker with this new firmware.
  2. I have also noticed at times that when checking the Wireless System log via the GUI interface, I cannot always see the mac addresses sometimes for different nodes within the different wireless bands. Even though according to GUI the node/s are still connected and working and I can confirm that they are indeed still working. It’s random and across different nodes. The biggest offender to this is the 2.4GHZ band, i.e. the mac address for the 5GHZ band is displaying as connected but not the 2.4GHZ at times for a node. I can see via WIFI analyzer and inSSIDer that the node is transmitting that band but according to the Wireless log that band it’s not connected to the main AiMesh router. Is this a correct function of AiMesh?
  3. The View client list via the web GUI is still very unstable
  4. Still no guest accounts on nodes available
  5. Still no option to manually or schedule reboot of nodes
  6. Still can’t view which interface (band) clients are connected to, for each node, via the web GUI for the node display
  7. All else has been stable to date.
Have also posted the above to https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...new-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-384-21140.47652/

new changelog.
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.21140
- [DDNS] Modified the procedure of DDNS service register under dual wan load balance mode
- [WAN] Modified detect logic of internet connection
- [AiMesh] Fixed AiMesh onboarding unsuccessfully once smart connect is enabled
- [AiMesh] Modified AiMesh nodes notification procedure
- [GUI] Fixed AiProtection GUI bugs.
- [GUI] Updated OpenVPN server FAQ URL.

1. Still no option to manually or schedule reboot of nodes

Per AiMesh Phase 2 beta:

Release note:
- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedbac

Therefore, schedule a reboot of router and it will reboot nodes (I assume). I don't know status of AiMesh Phase 2 beta is or if it made it into 21140 (since it came out a while ago).

Per AiMesh Phase 2 beta:

Release note:
- Support Ethernet onboarding (the mesh node search will find Ethernet nodes)
- The wireless schedule could be synchronized of all nodes.
- Support smart-connect rules on nodes. (both dual-band and tri-band) (RT-AC68U series have no smart connect)
- Synchronizing wireless professional settings to nodes.
- Synchronizing schedule reboot to all nodes.
- Synchronizing WPS settings to all nodes. (only enable and disable, this action will not sync trigger).
- Synchronizing region selection to all nodes. (Be noted: this function ONLY works under all nodes were bought in the same region, manual change won't help)
- Now you can use Gmail to do feedbac

Therefore, schedule a reboot of router and it will reboot nodes (I assume). I don't know status of AiMesh Phase 2 beta is or if it made it into 21140 (since it came out a while ago).
I am currently using firmware version 21140 on all my AiMesh routers and scheduling a reboot of the main AiMesh router, does not restart the nodes, maybe in the next release, fingers crossed, but thanks for info anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!