What's new

G.hn on SNB's Radar?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corndog

Regular Contributor
Hi Tim,

As I've for many years been one of those who needed to use alternative networking technologies (Coax, Powerline, Phoneline, etc) to reach various parts of my rental home, I have kept up to date on all of this. Currently my leading favourite is Coax, where the new MoCA devices really achieve some serious speed.

However, upon reading about upcoming developments in this field over the weekend, I stumbled across the G.hn standard and the HomeGrid initiative. Looks like a bunch of major players are getting together and expect to develop a variable speed network technology that goes up as high as gigabit, and have it work seamlessly across Coax, powerline, and phone lines, including bridging and repeating between multiple media types.

Of course, the MoCA people and some of the other established vendors are lining up against them, and already starting to disparage the initiative - looks like another standards war might happen?

I must say, gigabit sounds promising on these alternative wiring types. I'll believe it when i see it, of course.

Is this on SMB's radar yet? I'd love to see updates about this as it progresses.

Thanks as always for the awesome site.

Nope. Hadn't heard of G.hn until now.

Interesting that the ITU is point organization for the work. I imagine the push is probably from European IPTV providers.

I'll keep an ear to the ground. Don't hold your breath for real products anytime soon, though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!