What's new

G router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schlotkins

New Around Here
Hello:

I'm in the market for a router that is simply going to be used to browse the internet. The router is for my in-law' house so I'm looking for something that is reliable and easy to setup with decent range. Maximum throughput isn't that important.

Any suggestions? I was going to default to a netgear G router but the recent reviews haven't been that great.

Thank you for your time,
Chris

For your needs I would say that just about any 802.11g router would work fine. 802.11g is a mature technology so the overall performance and reliability will be about the same with nearly any router. In my own personal experience the Netgear WGR614 has been a nice reliable little router. It has few features but it's setup is easy and it works well.

We're supposed to ask about WiFi routers in the wireless section - not here in wired routers.

My WiFi recommendation for 11g would be a venerable Linksys WRT54G or GL. Still can be had from Newegg et al. Same guts are in some Belkin and Buffalo products from 1-2 years ago.

Don't spend more than $50 for a decent 11g router. My most recent choice was a Cradlepoint MBR900, 11n, had from eBay for about that price.

On average, D-Links should be avoided. They might get it right now and then with certain products, but there's a track record issue. Same too, not as bad, for Netgear.

Thank you both for the replies and let me apologize to the moderators. I posted this before my coffee and I stuck it in the wrong forum.

Chris

My personal experience of Netgear stuff has not been positive.

I have Netgear WG602 wireless access point and also WGE111, in both cases they are fairly flakey and require occasional reboot. The web interface is also temperamental on the WG602, I wish I hadn't bought either tbh

If you are in UK and after a DSL router then if you want v. cheap and your parents are a long way from exchange then how about Speedtouch 585 v6? This was recommended to me by my ISP (Zen) when i was having problems with a noisy line, disconnects and poor speeds.

I bought mine from ebay at £19.99 and it has been very solid, 10% better speed than the Draytek 2600w and the Netgear DG834 I tried before it and without the disconnects. New on ebay currently for 14.99 with free delivery!

The wireless coverage is average but reliable and the web interface is very easy.

Regards

Chunks