What's new

Galaxy A51 phone keeps dropping WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

So, the idea is that I use my 5 GHz network for indoors and the 2.4 GHz for out of the house and around the property. The signal is so strong that it even my neighbors can see my 2.4 GHz network at a strong signal.
The problem is that when I exit the house and go on the drive way, my phone switches to LTE instead of 2.4 GHz and it says "Ready to connect when network quality improves". This is a real pain.
I try to keep the network off and away from the same control channel as the network next door to prevent overlap. Also, I have a Fitbit Versa 3 that doesn't always want to connect to the Bluetooth on my phone from the 2.4 GHz WiFi interference. It doesn't drop when connected to the 5 GHz network and it at the lowest signal strength.

I'm running Merlin Firmware:386.10
1684604461388.png
1684604486367.png

I'm sure using the 'n only' setting for Wireless Mode isn't helping. I suggest you switch that to Auto (same as the 5GHz setting should be also).

Neither does using Control Channel 7, which will be interfered with both CC 6 and CC 11.

I'm sure using the 'n only' setting for Wireless Mode isn't helping. I suggest you switch that to Auto (same as the 5GHz setting should be also).

Neither does using Control Channel 7, which will be interfered with both CC 6 and CC 11.

Setting N only is the best way to go unless there are old legacy devices connecting to 2.4 Ghz.

Not in my experience it isn't.

Well, the 2.4 GHz band is a real s@#$ show. The strongest networks are on channels 3 and 11.
Maybe this picture would help.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 38
I use Channel 8 on my setup and it works fine. The idiots allowing things to automatically select a channel bounce around and push each other to different channels constantly.

1684616573571.png

If there are only N devices using 2.4Ghz then you tell me. What is the advantage ?

The advantage is that the router has the full use of it's capabilities.

Doesn't matter what your device is, the WiFi environment is what matters.

. The idiots allowing things to automatically select a channel bounce around and push each other to different channels constantly.
Most of my problem is an ISP provided router/modem combo with a dual band extender. Same thing happens on the 5GHz band but it's not as bad since their signal is much weaker.

Well, the 2.4 GHz band is a real s@#$ show. The strongest networks are on channels 3 and 11.
Maybe this picture would help.

No, pictures don't help.

Simply try channels 1, 6, and 11. For an extended period (24 hours or more), keep good notes, and decide afterward which was the best in your environment.

The advantage is that the router has the full use of it's capabilities.

Doesn't matter what your device is, the WiFi environment is what matters.
What about "Optimized for Xbox" (I don't have an Xbox) or "Disable 11b"? What do they do? Wireless Mode is set to "Auto" now

Just, reboot.

Don't change settings randomly.

Most of my problem is an ISP provided router/modem combo with a dual band extender. Same thing happens on the 5GHz band but it's not as bad since their signal is much weaker.
Yup. If you can't control the ISP box buying your own helps. Or sometimes you can find hacks to disable the WiFi portion. I did that on my FWA gateway with a script. Later on I turned it back on though with some more limited antennas that don't transmit as far for portable use.

Probably not related but can having the USB mode set to USB 3.0 affect the WiFi? I'm using an USB 3.0 flash drive in the USB 3.0 port for Entware and the swap file.

Probably not related but can having the USB mode set to USB 3.0 affect the WiFi? I'm using an USB 3.0 flash drive in the USB 3.0 port for Entware and the swap file.

On certain revisions of AC routers, yes, USB3 interferes severely with 2.4Ghz. Was a major issue on the RT-AC68U for the first few variants, I believe some other models too. They added some more shielding eventually which helped.

Unlike others here, while I used to be a 1/6/11 junkie, that no longer applies to residential situations. An overlapping channel with some free capacity is better than a non-overlapping one that is totally congested.

I also keep mine at N only. All that does is disable some of the really low MCS rates (and sets the beacons to a faster speed) - both of which are good things.

There are a lot of cases where getting reliable wifi outside your house simply is not possible from an indoor AP. Just because your neighbors see your network with full signal strength, does not mean it actually has any usable bandwidth (or isn't saturated by interference).

You can enable explicit beamforming however on the 2.4ghz band it shouldn't actually do anything. Leave universal disabled. I've seen cases where bluetooth coexistence seems to cause some issues but I have mine enabled and set to pre-emptive. I don't think it helped my bluetooth issues at all (getting a newer bluetooth headset for work did). I don't use 2.4Ghz off the asus for much so never bothered turning it back off.

What are you saying about the extender - you're running an ISP router, plus extender, plus the asus? If you have 3 devices in 2.4ghz and some are running as repeaters you may just be shooting yourself in the foot.

I also gave up on hardcoding channels as I'd find the best one and the next day 3 others would be on it. I just let the router play musical chairs with all the others. My outdoor AP does the same and rescans every night at 3AM (a setting Ubiquiti has) but to do the same on your asus you'd just schedule the reboot once a day or however often you want it to rescan. Or a script to bounce the wireless.

What are you saying about the extender - you're running an ISP router, plus extender, plus the asus? If you have 3 devices in 2.4ghz and some are running as repeaters you may just be shooting yourself in the foot.
Nah, I'm just using the Technicolor TC4350 modem (wired only) with a router setup as 2 different devices.
My neighbors are using the ISP router and extender. Sadly, it's set to Auto for the control channel.

Okay, I made a few changes.
2.4 GHz
Control Channel: Auto (It's hopping channels. After a reboot it was on Ch. 8, now Ch. 11)
Explicit beamforming: Enable
Bluetooth Coexistence: Pre-emptive

System:
USB Mode: USB 2.0

I found these....

Auto Control Channels are not recommended. Variable WiFi almost guaranteed.

Auto Control Channels are not recommended. Variable WiFi almost guaranteed.

Has been far more stable for me than static in congested areas in the last 5 or so years. Granted I'm not a heavy user of 2.4 but I have neighbors that use my outdoor AP (it rescans once a day) and works fine, better than their own. While it may vary, at least it isn't consistently bad.

The days of statically assigning 1/6/11 in a residential environment are gone. It only works in environments where you control all/most of the spectrum.

I take MS teams calls on my phone while outside and they are glitch free and even when I bring my laptop out it gets good speed.

The kicker is my outdoor AP is an ancient Ubiquiti N300 2.4 only. Sucker has been in full sun for 10 years, its yellow now, but chugs along just fine.

Last edited: