What's new

Gaming port Ax86 | Firewall rules all off!! | Gaming settings help? Hardware accel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xrsenal

Just wondering if anyone actually knows how the “gaming port on the ax86” works?

I don’t see any documentation on how it works? Does it use QoS?? I tried it for cod and wasn’t a fan ; found more success with the 2.5 g port but now having inconsistencies (saw in another thread as well) will try a regular lan port

any type of hardware acceleration that would help with gaming (ps5 in Merlin??) lmk!!
Jumbo frame?

also can someone list lmk if I should disable all of these? Or are these only vpn related?

1624476198906.png

Your image is too small/blurry to read. There is no such thing as a 'gaming' port (even if it's advertised as such). What router and firmware are you actually using?

Gaming port on the asus ax86 — the fw I’m using is the latest Merlin for the ax86– the screenshot is the nat pass through page

Still not giving any real information. 'latest Merlin' isn't specific enough. 'ax86' isn't a model number to give advice on.

Still have no idea what the 'gaming port' is you keep referring to.

Okay, first things first. RT-AX86U.

Why are you not running the current RMerlin firmware today (386.2_6)? In your shoes, I might even consider testing the latest (sort by date) Pre-beta test builds on that link below (very stable on my 2x RT-AX86U wired 2.5GbE backhaul AiMesh v2.0 setup).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin

After flashing the (real) current RMerlin firmware, you probably need to do a full reset to factory defaults before you can effectively troubleshoot anything.

I'll repeat myself here once more. No such thing as a gaming port (don't believe the marketing fluff).

The following links will get your router/network to a good/known state. If (from the recommended defaults offered below), the issues you're seeing persist, you may be able to successfully troubleshoot from there.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Okay, first things first. RT-AX86U.

Why are you not running the current RMerlin firmware today (386.2_6)? In your shoes, I might even consider testing the latest (sort by date) Pre-beta test builds on that link below (very stable on my 2x RT-AX86U wired 2.5GbE backhaul AiMesh v2.0 setup).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin

After flashing the (real) current RMerlin firmware, you probably need to do a full reset to factory defaults before you can effectively troubleshoot anything.

I'll repeat myself here once more. No such thing as a gaming port (don't believe the marketing fluff).

The following links will get your router/network to a good/known state. If (from the recommended defaults offered below), the issues you're seeing persist, you may be able to successfully troubleshoot from there.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021
My apologies ; I am on the latest firmware!
I’m not home so I’m trying to type from my phone I must have made a typo ; Is there anyway I can disable every single firewall rule? I am a gamer on console so I’m security is not needed ; plus if I get hit offline , I just reset my ont and get a new dynamic ip ; is there anything that would help w gaming in the Merlin fw? I got fiber w Verizon Fios (600/900 speeds)

Remove any USB devices, do a hard factory reset followed by a minimal config. Then try to upgrade the firmware followed by another hard factory reset. If successful manually configure. Do not use saved settings!

Remove any USB devices, do a hard factory reset followed by a minimal config. Then try to upgrade the firmware followed by another hard factory reset. If successful manually configure. Do not use saved settings!
???? Default settings enable firewalls man

???? Default settings enable firewalls man
You can't turn off all firewall rules, if you did the router wouldn't work. Even if you could do that it wouldn't make anything "faster". If anything it might make things slower because of all the bots/hackers swarming around your now open connection.

If you really want your console connected directly to the internet unplug your router and connect your console directly to your modem.

You can't turn off all firewall rules, if you did the router wouldn't work. Even if you could do that it wouldn't make anything "faster". If anything it might make things slower because of all the bots/hackers swarming around your now open connection.

If you really want your console connected directly to the internet unplug your router and connect your console directly to your modem.
That doesn’t make sense ; so far I’ve got dmz, fullcone nat, and firewall disbaled and ipv6 disbaled. Anything that can possible hinder gaming packets I’m turning off…anytning I’m missing?

That doesn’t make sense ; so far I’ve got dmz, fullcone nat, and firewall disbaled and ipv6 disbaled. Anything that can possible hinder gaming packets I’m turning off…anytning I’m missing?

Enjoy all your viruses and stolen information and bandwidth

I'm using my AX capable PS5 connected to my AX86U via Wifi 6/AX for multiplayer online gaming and it's blazing fast. I have low ping rates and I don't have any perceivable issues with lag even though it's wireless two rooms and one floor away from the router. Most of the lag would depend heavily on how each online game is set up to run... it's servers, gamers, lag compensation, etc.. I play the latest COD Black OPS and the game connection analyzer usually picks me as the game host. I have my AX86U setup mostly with default settings except Smart Connect is disabled and WPA2 is used instead of WPA3.

If you are connecting via Ethernet cable and want to squeeze every theoretical advantage from the connection try a lower gauge solid core copper CAT8 cable. You could use the 2.5GbE or Gaming Port. Any perceived lag or degradation will be from the pathways your signal takes over the internet through your ISP to the other players and/or the gaming servers. Degradation likely won't be from the AX86U if you have it auto handle the prioritization and use mostly default settings.

You don't need to go extreme by turning the firewall rules off (not recommended), customizing QoS settings or by using DMZ mode (except in the modem settings... you could set up its DMZ or pass through mode to the AX86U if you want). Most high performance gaming routers like the AX86U are designed to automatically optimize gaming traffic and handle the necessary adjustments to lower latency.

I haven't been able to figure out how the gaming port on the AX86U works but I am guessing that the router might auto prioritize traffic through it over other traffic if you have a gaming computer connected to it and if you are using that connection for gaming. You will have to contact Asus support and ask them those details.

Last edited:
I'm using my AX capable PS5 connected to my AX86U via Wifi 6/AX for multiplayer online gaming and it's blazing fast. I have low ping rates and I don't have any perceivable issues with lag even though it's wireless two rooms and one floor away from the router. Most of the lag would depend heavily on how each online game is set up to run... it's servers, gamers, lag compensation, etc.. I play the latest COD Black OPS and the game connection analyzer usually picks me as the game host. I have my AX86U setup mostly with default settings except Smart Connect is disabled and WPA2 is used instead of WPA3.

If you are connecting via Ethernet cable and want to squeeze every theoretical advantage from the connection try a lower gauge solid core copper CAT8 cable. You could use the 2.5GbE or Gaming Port. Any perceived lag or degradation will be from the pathways your signal takes over the internet through your ISP to the other players and/or the gaming servers. Degradation likely won't be from the AX86U if you have it auto handle the prioritization and use mostly default settings.

You don't need to go extreme by turning the firewall rules off (not recommended), customizing QoS settings or by using DMZ mode (except in the modem settings... you could set up its DMZ or pass through mode to the AX86U if you want). Most high performance gaming routers like the AX86U are designed to automatically optimize gaming traffic and handle the necessary adjustments to lower latency.

I haven't been able to figure out how the gaming port on the AX86U works but I am guessing that the router might auto prioritize traffic through it over other traffic if you have a gaming computer connected to it and if you are using that connection for gaming. You will have to contact Asus support and ask them those details.
Can u link me the cable?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!