What's new

Gaming Router Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

element72

Occasional Visitor
Can I please get a recommended router for 3 people in the house who would be gaming, while another person streams at the same time?

Looking for low latency routers. Two of us will be using ethernet, but I'm not sure about the other person.

I'm not sure what to look for because ethernet seems to be a no-brainer, but what else would I need for low latency when looking at "gaming" routers? Someone mentioned the quad-core CPU, but I'm not even sure if that's necessary.

Thanks guys!

Can I please get a recommended router for 3 people in the house who would be gaming, while another person streams at the same time?

Looking for low latency routers. Two of us will be using ethernet, but I'm not sure about the other person.

I'm not sure what to look for because ethernet seems to be a no-brainer, but what else would I need for low latency when looking at "gaming" routers? Someone mentioned the quad-core CPU, but I'm not even sure if that's necessary.

Thanks guys!
Asus RT 86U is the router that you need. It has 1.8 GHZ CPU and the performance is top notched. If you don't like the ASUS then Netgear XR 500.

Asus RT 86U is the router that you need. It has 1.8 GHZ CPU and the performance is top notched. If you don't like the ASUS then Netgear XR 500.
Wow, great recommendations. I come from using really old routers with tomato firmware. What is the practical benefit I should see with a higher tier CPU in the router?

Wow, great recommendations. I come from using really old routers with tomato firmware. What is the practical benefit I should see with a higher tier CPU in the router?
It has a dual core 1.8 GHZ CPU, 512 RAM and 256 MB flash storage. The practical benefit of using a higher tier CPU in the router is same like having a higher tier CPU in any computing device ;).
Manufacturers of wireless routers don't tell you this, but the hardware inside your router matters a lot, especially the processor and the quantity of RAM. Smart homes have many devices that require wireless connectivity. Now we do a lot of video streaming, online gaming and other activities during which lots of data is transferred through the network. To cope with everything, wireless routers need a lot more processing power than they used to.

When choosing a wireless router, you must know whether it has a single-core, dual-core, or quad-core processor and its operating frequency. Naturally, a dual-core processor can deal with more data and more clients than a single-core processor. Also, a processor running at 900 MHz is less powerful than one at 1.2 GHz. The same rules apply as is the case with computers, smartphones, and other computing devices.
When buying a wireless router, the processor should not be lower than a single-core running at 800MHz. For modern standards, this is the minimum required to deal with the load you get in a small smart-home. If you could afford to buy a router with a dual-core or quad-core (usually reserved for expensive routers) processor, the better.

Also, your router should not have less than 128MB of RAM. This is to make sure that it can process everything as fast as possible. If money is not a big issue, you should seek for a wireless router with 256MB of RAM or more.
Hope it answers your question :rolleyes:.

No such thing as a gaming router, i mean mikrotik makes a better gaming router than asus.

Its all about the QoS and config.

Ram amount doesnt matter unless you run some sort of software filter like trendnet on asus, but minimum is 128MB. CPU Depends on your speeds and what you run on it. (even openwrt recommends 256MB minimum, this is how far router firmwares (OS) has come)

For wifi this is where it matters for LAN and why i pick asus over ubiquiti but mikrotik is a good contender too because of being able to apply LAN based QoS. There are other routers with similar wifi features too.

However avoid netgear and dlink. Netgear "gaming" routers cost a lot more for less software and dont have both software and hardware quality anymore. Dlink i still dont trust.

Your router is your cornerstone and access point (i.e. bottleneck) to the internet. Get the biggest, faster, most bad-butt router you can afford.