What's new

Get wifi signal from 50 meters and share it

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freebil

Occasional Visitor
Hello. My neighboor is 50 meters away from my house and he wants to share his connection with me. So, I would like to get his wifi signal and share it to my home with a new wifi ssid. What is the bet way to do it?
I saw that maybe I have to use nanostation m2 or tp-link cpe210 and a router. Is this correct? Are there any alternatives?

First, be aware sharing your connection may violate your ISP's Terms of Service. So if detected, they may terminate service.

Best way is to run an Ethernet or fiber cable between you. If you can't o that, then a pair of wireless bridges, then a router at your end.

Thank you for the answer. There is a road between, so we cant run an ethernet cable. Moreover, he does not want to add any equipment. Only me can add the required equipment. So I have to connect to his router directly.
My laptop signal is -85dbm. I saw nanostation m2 and nanobeam m2 with gain 13dbi. What it means? The new signal will be -72dbm?

Nanostation has narrower signal and nanobeam has broader signal. Which is the best for my case?

Why don't you use your own existing internet connection rather than trying to connect to your neighbour?

The 13dBi gain is antenna gain. The higher the antenna gain, the more directional the antenna is.
You can go with a higher gain, narrow beam antenna because you are only trying to get one signal from a fixed location.

You can try to reach the other house with just one bridge. But if you are trying to get his indoor signal, with your indoor bridge, you may not get a connection; certainly not 5 GHz.

Both nanostation and nanobeam use Ubiquiti's proprietary airMax system. You could use the in pairs, but could not use them to bridge directly to a Wi-Fi AP/router.

Yeah with that distance and just your devices antenna good luck. If you do manage to obtain any kind of connection i doubt you will be happy with the results.

I've used the tp-link cpe210 for exactly this for a few years to get to a cottage on the property -- put it in Access Point mode, set it up with an SSID and password specific to the other house, aim it at the other house, and voila. I didn't bother putting it outdoors, just against the outside wall pointed out (they're both old wood frame houses). It doesn't provide a strong signal in rooms on the far side of the cottage, but is an inexpensive and effective setup.

First, be aware sharing your connection may violate your ISP's Terms of Service. So if detected, they may terminate service.

Best way is to run an Ethernet or fiber cable between you. If you can't o that, then a pair of wireless bridges, then a router at your end.
I have been sharing my (Comcast) Internet connection wirelessly for years with two nearby houses. There's nothing in the Comcast Terms of Service that prohibits this as long as you aren't "reselling" i.e. accepting payment for it (I'm not).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!