What's new

Getting DDNS to work w/ bridged comcast 'modem'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ringding

Occasional Visitor
I not so sure why.... some android apps see RT-N66U as "router.asus.com" so i had to get DOCSIS 3 CS/DS POS modem (we have land lines and TV all from them, so i had them disable their wifi (bridge the "public" IP to the RT-N66U...

Signed up for the like RINGDING.ASUSCOM.COM DyDNS it assigned the name to the 10.10.10.10 and i couldn't get a WAN "Class C" on my RT-N66U... NSLOOKUP was showing a BRIDGED IP as my WAN.... it "got smart" and dumped after a reboot... but can i not get dynamic (FREE) DNS to my house, now???

The ip is DHCP but ends up static unless i change the MAC on the rtr like in the old days on a motorola surfboard.... dunno if its just the ASUSCOM.COM or ??? Any clue?? i'd like to FTP by a name from WAN....

Thanks for any advice!!

Login to the Comcast modem yourself and make sure bridge mode is on. It should be giving you a public IP. Default login is admin/password

Login to the Comcast modem yourself and make sure bridge mode is on. It should be giving you a public IP. Default login is admin/password
ParanoiA,
It was on 10.10.10.10 but i cannot reach it via WebUI. The wifi light is off... i HAVE a "class C, ""PUBLIC"" IP"" On my ASUS RT-N66U rtr WAN side....

It HAS to be bridged i get my DOCSIS 3 speeds, etc... no 3 SSIDs in here just the RT-N66U 2.4 and 5G chan SSIDs... yet the DDNS or DynDNS or whatever gets confused still... I also had to put a node in the friggin DMZ when i couldn't port frd 5900 for a buddy to VNC in... but "hangouts" has a "Share Screen" thing and he got in thru that w/ the DMZ off... must bee UPnP???

Not like i cant memorize my IP i just want a word for other people's sake. NSLOOKUP on any node of "router.asus.com" is, well here from this macbook...

Lookup has started…
; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> router.asus.com a +multiline +nocomments +nocmd +noquestion +nostats +search

;; global options: +cmd

router.asus.com IN A 192.168.1.1 <----Thats my LAN side rtr address!! Obviously.... where is THAT set?? (the name, not the IP).

The routers HDDs are SMB shares and are in \\WORKGROUP\RT-N66U\<name of drive(s)... wifi speeds are fine... etc.... just that little issue... using July 2015 (newest) CFW

RT-N66U if you couldn't tell... dunno how to add that all tiny in my sig quite yet..... ;-)

Thanks fer the idea... old motorolla surfboard was on 192.168.100.1 and i could get into THAT... but it didn't need to be bridged.... strange, no?? Thanks fer the reply....

Last edited:
router.asus.com IN A 192.168.1.1 <----Thats my LAN side rtr address!! Obviously.... where is THAT set?? (the name, not the IP).
router.asus.com is set by default in the code to your router LAN ip....that way to get to the gui you can use that name.

router.asus.com is set by default in the code to your router LAN ip....that way to get to the gui you can use that name.

JOHN!! I figured it was "hardcoded" in there somewhere, as Android video playser search LAN fer samba shares, namely "BSPlayer" and found it... that's how i realized OH, my rtr LAN ip has a hostname!?!? but the ASUSCOM.COM thing is still not working... does ASUS hate me?? I own 3 Asus mobos, a TF300T... and the router... they have my love and support hehe....

RT-N66U
PS I would repeat the attempt to get ringding.asuscom.com and do an nslookup but the result will be RINGDING.ASUSCOM.COM IN A 10.10.10.10 and i'd lose my interwebnet connection untill comcast would drop me and refresh my IP (happened 2 times before)

PPS that FW you are on/maintaining... would i be able to flash it OVER this, just to test?? The wifi is slow to my tablet.... If anyone would know it would be you or Merlin

Im on Merlin's July 2015 like the 17th or whatever... i THiNK your wifi driver was better for my N devices... but i like that i can see my lil CPU guage (go broadcom!) and i can control the Tx of the 5G...

You do good work, i have recomended you to friends and on this board... On behalf of those that don't say it.... "Thanks For Your Efforts"!!

RT-N66U

Last edited:
router.asus.com is set by default
So i just went in there by name, it booted me, i logged back in and it says i am at rt-n66u.index.asp THiS i understand.... what happens when i set my PBX up so i can use SIP for VoIP on my Nexus 6??

THAT is a public IP, as the Arris CS/DS POS modem IS bridged....
Sorry, you can pull it....just wanted to make sure things were really bridged.....should have been clearer in my question.

So now the question is why ddns is picking up a 10. address rather than you WAN ip???? If I understand your first post correctly.

Last edited:
So now the question is why ddns is picking up a 10. address rather than you WAN ip???? If I understand your first post correctly.

THAT is a million dollar question!!! Like ASUSCOM.COM can SEE it?? i can not even ping it since its been bridged... I could factory reset it, take the backup battery out and all (for the dumb land lines we never use)

I can change my MAC and get a new IP i don't phear the ppl here are mostly cool. But i know that at least ASUSCOM.COM doesn't like me... how does it see the 10.10.10.10?? Should i put my lappy on a 10.10.10.11 and use a crossover cable?? The wifi is OFF it the light's OFF, no weird SSID in here... its passing ALL traffic as far as i can tell.... it drops offline, i NSLOOKUP the DDNS, i THINK the router gives me the answer (i use 192.168.1.1 as dns... rtr uses 75.75.75.75 and .76 ... its baffling
i should NSLOOKUP using public DNS like 12.127.16.83 BUT it drops me offline and apples 10.10.10.10 the name i feel like im talking in a lOoP... im going to try a diff DyDNS provider but i think most have gone to a PAY model... i need to be downloading right now heh...

~RiNG

PS YES you are 100% understanding me. I hope you feel my frustration as well!! ;-)~

Last edited:
Also just FYI its asuscomm.com with 2 m's. Maybe you knew that but from what you typed above its wrong.

I not so sure why.... some android apps see RT-N66U as "router.asus.com" so i had to get DOCSIS 3 CS/DS POS modem (we have land lines and TV all from them, so i had them disable their wifi (bridge the "public" IP to the RT-N66U...

Signed up for the like RINGDING.ASUSCOM.COM DyDNS it assigned the name to the 10.10.10.10 and i couldn't get a WAN "Class C" on my RT-N66U... NSLOOKUP was showing a BRIDGED IP as my WAN.... it "got smart" and dumped after a reboot... but can i not get dynamic (FREE) DNS to my house, now???

The ip is DHCP but ends up static unless i change the MAC on the rtr like in the old days on a motorola surfboard.... dunno if its just the ASUSCOM.COM or ??? Any clue?? i'd like to FTP by a name from WAN....

Thanks for any advice!!

I'm having a hard time following your question, but DDNS on a bridged router is not possible. It must be on the router facing the internet. That router knows your actual IP address and forwards it to the DDNS server at Asus. An inside router only knows the inside address and probably can't even get out to the DDNS server. Even if it can it it will try to tell the DDNS server the inside IP address, which the DDNS server should reject as non-routable. This is how DDNS works.

Asuscom worked well for me a few years ago ... very reliable .. when I used a RTN56U. I'm using no-ip today, but would be using asuscom if I still used an Asus router facing the internet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!