What's new

Getting internet to pole barn 250 feet away

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jupiter

New Around Here
Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm trying to extend my existing home gig internet to my pole barn about 225 feet away. Currently it acts more or less as a big faraday cage because it's sheet metal, and I get no signals while inside. I'd like to have a strong Wi-Fi signal in there, as well as something to support security cameras that will be out there. Is my only option to trench ethernet/conduit the entire way, or run it overhead? Once I get the line to the pole barn, would it be best to have it running to a switch, then connect the WAP via the switch, and connect the camera and computer/server through the same switch? I currently have a Synology RT2600ac router and a switch inside my house. I appreciate any help

Is the power in the pole barn on a separate ground from the house ?

do you have unobstructed line of sight from the house to the pole barn ?

if Yes and Yes, look at either point to point wireless using external antenna under eave or possibly through window on 2.4 GHz
Or
Fiber optic either aerial or protected burial

Some have direct buried ethernet cable but it will eventually fail from moisture, animals, or digging humans. It can also create a ground loop or be vulnerable to stray currents/lightning from thunderstorms possibly damaging equipment on both ends.

any aerial will need to address lighting protection. Fiber usually has a metal cable for mechanical support.

point to point wireless is probably the least trouble and expense.

Is the power in the pole barn on a separate ground from the house ?

do you have unobstructed line of sight from the house to the pole barn ?

if Yes and Yes, look at either point to point wireless using external antenna under eave or possibly through window on 2.4 GHz
Or
Fiber optic either aerial or protected burial

Some have direct buried ethernet cable but it will eventually fail from moisture, animals, or digging humans. It can also create a ground loop or be vulnerable to stray currents/lightning from thunderstorms possibly damaging equipment on both ends.

any aerial will need to address lighting protection. Fiber usually has a metal cable for mechanical support.

point to point wireless is probably the least trouble and expense.
Yes, the service to the barn is completely separate from the house. Is there any advantage to using 2.4ghz versus 5ghz for the point to point?

I forgot I had made this thread until today (after previously reading all the comments.) As an update, I decided to just trench the line for numerous reasons. The only tree within hundreds of feet in any direction was of course between the most logical mounting places for the antennas. I've already dug the trench about 18" deep, just to comply with electrical code for something that runs under a driveway (gravel driveway from house to pole barn) via conduit, even though the electrical inspector said since it's Ethernet and not electrical wire, he doesn't need to look at it and it doesn't need to be to any code. I partly used a trencher and partly hand-dug it, to avoid existing electrical wire the previous owner buried going to the barn. I'm using 1.25" schedule 80 PVC conduit, so that I can run two Ethernet cords and still have plenty of space if I needed more later inside the conduit. My plan is to put a Synology RT2600ac router in the pole barn, directly wired from the switch in my office. Will having the new router, which is the same as the one I use in my house, connected via a switch rather than directly from the original house router, affect performance at all?

I've enjoyed this project so far, I'm excited to have full connectivity in my pole barn since I work in there all the time. Using the trenching machine is so simple and quick, as long as you know you won't hit anything along the route, that I may try to put mesh routers all over my property to get me a full Wi-Fi signal over the 7 acres. The only thing that bothered me about moving to the country is having only so-so cell service.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

Using wire is the best plan and most reliable over wireless. Fiber is better if you have a lot of electrical storms.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!