What's new

Getting Ready for Black Friday - But Confused (Again)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elmer

Yes, number two only.

And currently, the only router that is considered for long-term (expected) use. (Because of it's balanced hardware).

"AX6000" is a wireless class, and not a device model. Always shop by actual model names instead.

I don`t know why so many retailers are making it hard for potential buyers to know what router model they are potentially going to end up with. It would be like if Newegg started listing Intel and AMD CPUs by their clock speed rather than their model number.

don`t know why so many retailers are making it hard for potential buyers

Asus likes it:

RT-AC68U -> RT-AC1900
RT-AC86U -> RT-AC2900
RT-AX58U -> RT-AX3000
RT-AC85P -> RT-AC2400

Most new models are straight with the class in the model name:
GT-AX6000
RT-AXE7800
GT-AXE11000
GT-AXE16000
GS-AX3000
GS-AX5400
TUF Gaming AX3000
TUF Gaming AX5400

Most new models are straight with the class in the model name:
Note that it isn`t "AX6000" or "Wireless AX6000 Router", but a clear model name: GT-AX6000.

Note that it isn`t "AX6000" or "Wireless AX6000 Router", but a clear model name: GT-AX6000.

Totally random example, but I bought a dethatcher for my lawn, older model was 801 and newer/better model was 798. Some companies just don't have their act together or just don't care. Others get it quite well, Samsung TVs had like 4000 through 8000 series with the higher one always being better, then then went to 400 through 800 (ok that's a bit confusing since a lower number, but still easy to tell which was better).

It seems almost all the router manufacturers are all over the place. TP link has the A and C series which are basically the same just sold via different venues, but not always on the same firmware.

Some try to get the wifi speed in there (which in and of itself is confusing, non-standard, and misleading), some don't.

Being a bit OCD, it especially aggravates me.

Clear as mud.

For the average consumer, even taking the router class (e.g. AC2900) didn't really help as last I checked it told you max router combined wireless throughput rather than what you would actually see based on dual band/tri band, channel splits etc.

Has that improved with the AX class?

For the average consumer, even taking the router class (e.g. AC2900) didn't really help as last I checked it told you max router combined wireless throughput rather than what you would actually see based on dual band/tri band, channel splits etc.

Has that improved with the AX class?

Nah, still the same BS with AX, just even worse with the tri band ones.