What's new

Gigabit ethernet and slow wifi speeds on AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Salinger

Occasional Visitor
I just upgraded to Xfinity Gigabit. On an ethernet connection, I am easily pulling 800mb down and 41 up - what I would expect. However on my Pixel 5, standing right next to the router, I'm only getting 415 or so down. The pixel 5 has 2x2 antenna and a theoretical top speed of 866 down. I obviously don't expect to hit 866, but I should be able to get closer to that. Any specific settings I should be looking at?

Note all speeds are measured using speedtest.net in Chrome or the Android app.

Last edited:
This is what you should be looking at.

Duckware Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

Also, what firmware are you using on the RT-AC88U? What optimizations and/or other changes from the defaults to the wireless after a full reset to factory defaults? Are you using QoS? Are you using AiMesh? AiProtection? Any other features/options (scripts)?

This is what you should be looking at.

Duckware Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

Also, what firmware are you using on the RT-AC88U? What optimizations and/or other changes from the defaults to the wireless after a full reset to factory defaults? Are you using QoS? Are you using AiMesh? AiProtection? Any other features/options (scripts)?
Firmware is 3.0.0.4.385_20631, did a full factory reset after upgrading.

Running AiMesh with one additional node, and AiProtection, no QoS. Disabled Roaming assist, Airtime Fairness, and Universal Beamforming. Enabled IGMP Snooping. Other than that, pretty much stock.

Firmware is 3.0.0.4.385_20631, did a full factory reset after upgrading.

Running AiMesh with one additional node, and AiProtection, no QoS. Disabled Roaming assist, Airtime Fairness, and Universal Beamforming. Enabled IGMP Snooping. Other than that, pretty much stock.
Just tried disabling AiProtection and it didn't make a difference. And I forgot to mention that zonjabe 5GHz bandwidth set to 80 and the control channel to 161...

Did you reboot after making any (test) changes?

Both the router and the test(ing) client device(s)?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!