What's new

Gigabit fiber pppoe speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokie

Regular Contributor
I've just upgraded my broadband to a new provider, fiber to the home. I connected my RT-AC5300 to the ONT and configured the router to pppoe with relevant login details, I jumped over to the Lan side and set vlan to 10 as advised but the speeds don't hit past 150 and drop down considerably.

Someone pointed me to an old post in the merlin side and had a similar issue, think they ended up replacing the router, older firmware worked perfect but newer ones gave him the same issue I'm having.

Has anyone had similar issues with any results. I should be getting 1000m but not getting more than 150.

Thanks

I never had QOS turned on, I've never used it. My last provider was 300m so never needed it.

I did notice that if I connect my laptop directly to the ONT I get the same 150 as when I have the asus router connected. But my network card is showing as 1G connection.

When you had 300 Mbps, were you able to get it on laptop? Do you have some other devices which you can use to test speed? How about your phone and laptop together.

Last edited:
When you had 300 Mbps, were you able to get it on laptop? Do you have some other devices which you can use to test speed? How about your phone and laptop together.

It's not the laptop, if I use the supplied vodafone router and connect my laptop I hit 1gig

check if the wan port is actually running in gigabit speed. i remember reading a thread here with a similar problem and he had one faulty wan port.

And the fact that I was getting my full speeds with my other provider kind of rules that out. I didn't have to use pppoe with them so I'm thinking it's to do with that.

I've just upgraded my broadband to a new provider, fiber to the home. I connected my RT-AC5300 to the ONT and configured the router to pppoe with relevant login details, I jumped over to the Lan side and set vlan to 10 as advised but the speeds don't hit past 150 and drop down considerably.

Someone pointed me to an old post in the merlin side and had a similar issue, think they ended up replacing the router, older firmware worked perfect but newer ones gave him the same issue I'm having.

Has anyone had similar issues with any results. I should be getting 1000m but not getting more than 150.

Thanks

Have you tried AP mode for 5300?

Your Vodafone device(ONT) is a specified device for your Gig Service.

I'm not understanding what your saying, are you saying put my 5300 into AP mode and connect it directly to the ONT? If so then can everything else be configured on my 5300? Dhcp server ect

Ok so I went to the Lan settings/switch control and my may acceleration was disabled. Setting it to Auto CTF cut through forwarding is enabled
And my speeds jumped..
Laptop connected to router via cable on fast.com peaked at 1.5g but finished at 770

Speedtest.net ping was 15ms and 394mbs download with an upload of 205.

Is my Nat acceleration ok set to that?
Any other things I could thinker with as the results vary every time..

HW acceleration need to be on for speed >200Mb/s, thats ok so, but why did you ever turn it off, after reset its turned on by default.
Maybe with QoS you disabled it, no need on Gb lines.
Not much more you could do, maybe use fixed channels but you loose SmartConnect.

I never turned it off... Wifi speeds still appear to be hit and miss.. With my last provider my laptop on wifi always maxed it out but only getting 150-200 now, Even though the wifi card properties showing connection speed of 866.7mbps

I'll have a thinker around later..

Cheers for everyone's help

Speeds didn't stay with what I would be happy with, Wireless started to go no more than 150 while wired barely ever went over 500.

So I jumped back to the vodafone Gigabox router they provided and immediately everything flying as expected.
Wired speedtest getting up to 1.2g and wireless getting up to 760m

My RT-AC5300 is clearly not handling the PPPOE correctly or something like that. I noticed when I have it configured for PPPOE my wifi range drops dramatically, I used to be able to go across the road a fair bit away from my house and still be connected, That's cut in half when configured like this.

Has anyone come across this or have any insight?

Thanks