What's new

Gigabit modem recommendation regarding security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

I was looking at Surfboard 8200, but know I have to depend on the provider to patch correctly for security risks. Opinions please, on which Doc3.1 Gigabit router is the best/SECURE you can purchase now?

The first thing to check is which modems your ISP supports, because many cable providers will only allow specific model/revisions on their network.

You can patch the SB8200 yourself by adding 1 ACL to your router to block 192.168.100.1. It is real simple. I have it blocked on my router. I use a SB8200 modem. I bought my SB8200 when they first came out. I don't know if it would be my choice now but it might. I have had no problems. I am not able to get gig service right now. I am still hoping.

Personally I'm quite happy with my Technicolor TC4400. The recent vulnerability was never an issue for me since my ISP already disabled that interface through the config they push to their customers.

Appreciate the input...Sorry if this sounds stupid though. Coxhaus you are blocking it with your router? I'm confused. Is this security issue reliant on a compromised computer on your network working with the backdoor, or the security issue is that the modem is a security threat from the outside being attacked directly?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!