What's new

Gigabit performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tandtmah

New Around Here
Hello All,
I am hoping you can help out. I am on a Telus Purefibre plan (940 Mbps Up/down). The connection in my basement is fibre directly to their hub, I have an ASUS rt 5300 AC connected to their second port (first port is for the tv's). On the Asus I am running Merlin: 384_13_0.

When I connect directly to their hub, I get around 900 down and 900 up. When I connect wired to the Asus I am getting 900 down and 30Mbs up. When I connect to a 2.4Ghz wireless network, I am getting ~20Mbs Down and ~20 Mbs Up.

For settings on my Asus:

QOS is disabled

LAN:
Jumbo Frame: Disabled
NAT Acceleration: Auto (CTF is enabled) - This one made a significant difference to the wired connection download speed.
Spanning-Tree-Protocol: Disabled
Bonding/Link aggregation: Disabled

I have the ASUS firewall enabled and for AiProtection, I have Malicious sites blocking enabled and I have the parental controls - Time Scheduling enabled.

I'm hoping you can help with my set-up.

Thanks!

I would start troubleshooting by disabling AiProtection and seeing if that makes a difference (on the wired connection).

AiProtection on or off did not make a discernible difference. My main concerns are wired-upload speed and wireless up/down speed.

Anything else I can try?

Try turning off your modem for 10-15 minutes.

Try turning off your modem for 10-15 minutes.

Thank you for the reply! I'm honored! I no longer have a concern for wireless. I've done more testing closer to the modem and router. Here is what I'm getting now:

directtohub.png

Direct to Telus hub

wiredtoasus.png

Connected via ethernet cable to Asus rt 5300

5ghz.png

Wireless to 5Ghz wifi network next to router

24ghz.png

Wireless to 2.4 Ghz wifi network next to router.

I still have concerns regarding the drop-off in upload speeds when using a wired connection to the asus router.

Thanks.

I think the problem is somewhere else in my line. I tried a different PC on a different ethernet outlet and was able to get gigagbit upload/downloads. It appears the problem is not in the router. Thanks for the help all!

UPDATE: Further investigation: I have been running all of my wired speedtests from my desktop which is an AMD Ryzen 9 based PC. This PC has been giving me poor upload speeds on a wired connection. I've been tweaking the Intel Network Adapter settings and have now gotten the upload speeds to around 450Mbs from 90Mbs. The settings I tweaked are:
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4)- Enabled
Receive Buffers: 1024
Transmit Buffers: 2048

Results of speedtest after adapter tweaks:
Speedtest results: 912 Mbs Download/450 Mbps upload

The specs of this PC are:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MB: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon with 64 GB RAM

I tried the speed test on an older desktop on the same network:
speedtest results on PC #2: 849 Mbs Download/ 905 Mbps upload

The specs of the second PC are:
Intel i7-4770K, MB: AsusTek MAXIMUS VI Gene, 32 GB RAM

The newer, more powerful PC has slower upload speeds.

I will now investigate the drivers and MB firmware for updates, but my issue appears to be specific to the AMD-based PC.

Thanks.

Last edited: