What's new

Gigabit switch that is a real gigabit switch???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomb18

New Around Here
I'm looking for a Gigabit switch that actually has 1Gb throughput at a reasonable price.
Up until today I was using a DLink DGS105, 5 port gigabit switch to connect 2 computers and a printer to my router (TPLink AC3200) and out to the internet. My internet connection was a 120Mb cable connection. This worked fine. I got the 120Mb.
Yesterday, I had Gbit internet installed. Supposedly good for 940Mb/s. I did a test to Speedtest.Net (there is a very fast server nearby to test to) and the fastest I got was 480Mb/s. So I did a little testing and then found that if I just bypassed the DLink, it went right to 940Mb/s as it should.
I realize that switch is old, but really? In fact I looked up a similar model here on SNB (the semi-managed version) and th review says the maximum throughput was 500Mb.
What gives with this? If they advertise Gb/s switch it better be one!
So I will trash the Dlink. It's lifetime warranted but it would cost more for me to ship than to buy something else.
Can anyone recommend a basic switch that can indeed support Gb switching in reality and not just in marketing?
Thanks

I'm looking for a Gigabit switch that actually has 1Gb throughput at a reasonable price.
Up until today I was using a DLink DGS105, 5 port gigabit switch to connect 2 computers and a printer to my router (TPLink AC3200) and out to the internet. My internet connection was a 120Mb cable connection. This worked fine. I got the 120Mb.
Yesterday, I had Gbit internet installed. Supposedly good for 940Mb/s. I did a test to Speedtest.Net (there is a very fast server nearby to test to) and the fastest I got was 480Mb/s. So I did a little testing and then found that if I just bypassed the DLink, it went right to 940Mb/s as it should.
I realize that switch is old, but really? In fact I looked up a similar model here on SNB (the semi-managed version) and th review says the maximum throughput was 500Mb.
So I will trash the Dlink. It's lifetime warranted but it would cost more for me to ship than to buy something else.
Can anyone recommend a basic switch that can indeed support Gb switching in reality and not just in marketing?
Thanks
I have Netgear gs308, very happy with them.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KFD0SEA/?tag=smallncom-20

+1 for NETGEAR. Their ProSafe line is very decent and performs well. No issues hitting 1 Gbps speed on my LAN with these switches

I would suggest the netgear prosafe too, there are plenty of alternatives but i always avoid dlink. Netgear routers are overpriced or unreliable from experience. You can also consider tplink, zyxel and if you are adventurous used cisco, dell, hp switches, or you can go for one of the currently crappy ones of mikrotik and ubiquiti switches. I say crappy because they lack a lot of things (ubiquiti) or do a lot of things wrong (mikrotik) on the switch level but are value for money if you are a techie.

TP-Link Easy Smart switch works well and is reasonably priced. They have 5 port and 8 port models. I have a 5 port and no problems for almost 2 years.

TP-Link Easy Smart switch works well and is reasonably priced. They have 5 port and 8 port models. I have a 5 port and no problems for almost 2 years.

I second his recommendation. I have two TP Link Smart switches and two simple unmanaged switches. The oldest switch has been in service for almost four years. When I tested gig service from Comcast no issues and I can back up to my NAS at close to gig speeds the limiting factor being my HD speed.

If you want a basic desktop, unmanaged switch, the Netgear GS108v4 is unusually very well designed (internally) and good value for money. It should be extremely reliable and performant. In terms of performance, the other basic Netgear desktop switches should also be as expected and some come with lifetime warranties like the GS108v4.

Just don't buy any managed or large switches from Netgear, if you can help it ... You can get (much) better and often for similar prices.

If you want a basic desktop, unmanaged switch, the Netgear GS108v4 is unusually very well designed (internally) and good value for money. It should be extremely reliable and performant. In terms of performance, the other basic Netgear desktop switches should also be as expected and some come with lifetime warranties like the GS108v4.

Just don't buy any managed or large switches from Netgear, if you can help it ... You can get (much) better and often for similar prices.

I'm rocking 2 GS108v4 and one GS116 here (16 ports) and am very, very satisfied.

If you want good high speed core switches Cisco makes some good ones. I like their layer 3 switches. I use 5 DLink switches to feed a Cisco core switch at my daughter's small business. It seems to work fine.

Personally I would not use anything made by D-Link, but that's just me.

Cisco is my preferred platform. The cabling in my daughter's business is junk. I made do without spending a lot of money. I hope to one day re-cable the site. The DLink switches were $20 each. Much cheaper than buying 5 short term Cisco switches to make the cables long enough.

Thanks
In terms of switches I highly recommend HP ones (1420 series for unmanaged or 1820 series for web managed). I assume use case is SOHO..

Yesterday, I had Gbit internet installed. Supposedly good for 940Mb/s. I did a test to Speedtest.Net (there is a very fast server nearby to test to) and the fastest I got was 480Mb/s.

Check your ethernet cables - looks like one of the ports negotiated half-duplex...

Even unmanaged switches these days are gigabit and non-blocking - DLink, Netgear, Linksys, along with Trendnet and TP-Link..