What's new

Gigabit version of BEFSR81?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fezmid

New Around Here
Since most of my gear now has gigabit cards in them, I'd like to upgrade my switch to gigabit. Problem is, I haven't been able to find an 8-port cable router/switch that's gigabit! I've seen 4-port versions, but I really need all 8. I know I could uplink, but the space in my in-wall cabinet is limited.

Does anyone make such a beast?

Eight port Gigabit switches are all around. But I doubt you'll find a Router containing a switch with more than 4 ports. I've never seen one anyway.

For this reason I'm currently using a Netgear GS-108 eight port switch combined with my D-Link DGL-4300 router. Very happy with it's performance, and it's also pretty small.

Bart pretty much summed it up. Consumer routers are driven by price, so if gigabit is included, you get only 4 ports.

There are small-biz routers with 8 ports, but they are 10/100.

Does the D-Link router/switch that you reference have a way to segregate the wireless from the intranet? I personally don't like wireless -- but if I could turn the wireless into a non-trusted network that has no access into the internal network, I'd be more likely to use it for the laptops.

Basically put the wireless and wired on two separate VLANs that can't talk with each other but still go out the same pipe to the internet.

It looks like it has a lot of features, but I couldn't figure out if this configuration would be supported.