What's new

Give access to static ip pc's to the static ip server for backup via the ax88u router on the lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys as per the post heading is it possible give access to static ip pc's to the static ip server for backup via the ax88u router on the lan with no restrictions. Cheers

The server (whatever it is) has to allow client access. Your router has nothing to do with it.

Hi Tech9 my server is a win 10 x64bit the same as my pc's on the lan so how do I do this apart from sharing and security settings for drives, please explain, thanks.

Hi Tech9 my server is a win 10 x64bit the same as my pc's on the lan so how do I do this apart from sharing and security settings for drives, please explain, thanks.
Are you sure you understand static IP addresses? There is no such thing as a static IP server as static IP addresses are assigned at the client not by a server.

Hi bbunge what I meant was on all my household lan pc's I have assigned them a particular ip address including the pc that acts as the backup server for all the pc;s and movies etc these are all individually assigned in the routers LAN settings.

Hi Colin The reason I was asking this question is because I've run out of ideas on the pc to server backup as you correctly said but Because it was a different question I thought it was a different post sorry if I was wrong on that score. I've reinstalled win 10 leeping all settings and apps on mine and wifes pc's and shared and adjusted the security of the drive settings on the pc's to no avail then been in contact with the various backup apps developers on the client pc's and also the server drivepool apps deveopers and tried various things but had no results so did wonder if it was a router issue on the lan connections via the router. All this used to work beautifully then for some reason went belly up so did wonder if there was a connection to firmware updates, so still looking for answers as the only alternative left would be to do win 10 clean installs on the three pc's involved which is the very last thing I would want to do.

Hi bbunge what I meant was on all my household lan pc's I have assigned them a particular ip address including the pc that acts as the backup server for all the pc;s and movies etc these are all individually assigned in the routers LAN settings.

Hi Colin The reason I was asking this question is because I've run out of ideas on the pc to server backup as you correctly said but Because it was a different question I thought it was a different post sorry if I was wrong on that score. I've reinstalled win 10 leeping all settings and apps on mine and wifes pc's and shared and adjusted the security of the drive settings on the pc's to no avail then been in contact with the various backup apps developers on the client pc's and also the server drivepool apps deveopers and tried various things but had no results so did wonder if it was a router issue on the lan connections via the router. All this used to work beautifully then for some reason went belly up so did wonder if there was a connection to firmware updates, so still looking for answers as the only alternative left would be to do win 10 clean installs on the three pc's involved.

This has nothing to do with the router as others have stated.

You need to check your file sharing settings and windows firewall settings. Make sure the network you've joined is selected as "private" as public will block file sharing and lots of other stuff.

1679964265051.png

Hi drinkingbird I've taken it on board that the router is not the problem at the time it was just a possibility, my network is private and I use kaspersky internet security for protection and I've trusted various applications and files appertaining to what the issue is that's happening but nothing seems to fix things at the moment so still looking.
Any ideas?

Hi drinkingbird I've taken it on board that the router is not the problem at the time it was just a possibility, my network is private and I use kaspersky internet security for protection and I've trusted various applications and files appertaining to what the issue is that's happening but nothing seems to fix things at the moment so still looking.
Any ideas?

Disable Kaspersky and windows firewalls on both machines, see if it works, if so you know where to focus. It won't be a matter of trusting files, there should be a setting in there somewhere to allow windows file sharing or something like that.

Hi drinkingbird have done what you suggested and the issue I think is resolved but I've already gone through kaspersky Int Sec in exclustions and trusted app and included them all and their compnents but not sure how to do the same thing in windows defender settings as even when it's turned off I see it is still connected to the 'private' network. The only way at the moment is to totally disable KIS and turn windows defender 'off', that seems to fix it but I'm unable to use the pc on the internet while the backup is running and it can take a while to complete including testing the backup, so at the moment can't see anymore settings to allow no impediment apart from disabling it. Any ideas.

Hi drinkingbird have done what you suggested and the issue I think is resolved but I've already gone through kaspersky Int Sec in exclustions and trusted app and included them all and their compnents but not sure how to do the same thing in windows defender settings as even when it's turned off I see it is still connected to the 'private' network. The only way at the moment is to totally disable KIS and turn windows defender 'off', that seems to fix it but I'm unable to use the pc on the internet while the backup is running and it can take a while to complete including testing the backup, so at the moment can't see anymore settings to allow no impediment apart from disabling it. Any ideas.
I would dump the third party anti-virus and use Windows Defender. Save money and network headaches.

Hi bbunge spoke to soon the backup ground to a halt at 8% even though I left it on overnight so back to the drawing board......bugger. I thought it was solved. It used to work great and I've used KIS for years without a problem.

Hi bbunge spoke to soon the backup ground to a halt at 8% even though I left it on overnight so back to the drawing board......bugger. I thought it was solved. It used to work great and I've used KIS for years without a problem.

Windows defender should allow file sharing if you have it set to private. Maybe delete the network on both PCs so it prompts you again and select private, just to see if that resets anything.

If your backup prevents you from using the internet and is not succeeding I'd suspect something else is going on too, bad connection quality etc.

Removing the network profiles requires some registry stuff but isn't too bad

Look through the settings in both KIS and Defender/Windows firewall and make sure file sharing is allowed in both of the PCs. If all else fails, just create a firewall rule allowing all traffic from one PC to the other (likely only needed on the remote PC, outbound is typically allowed by default). Make sure you haven't inadvertently denied any apps/services in both firewalls. KIS should override (disable) windows defender anyway so probably focus there.

I would dump the third party anti-virus and use Windows Defender. Save money and network headaches.

The one thing I like about using Symantec Endpoint is I can set it to prompt me anytime something new tries to access the internet. Has actually alerted me a few times over the years to something malicious. Windows firewall/defender doesn't have that feature (and is not quite as advanced as far as intrusion prevention etc too, though has gotten significantly better over the years).

I do choose the option to allow defender to do a periodic scan also (it now has an optional coexistence mode that is disabled by default, where it won't interfere with your 3rd party AV/Firewall) as I would suspect MS may be a bit quicker to roll out detection for some core windows attacks.

Hi drinkingbird but what I meant was while the backup is running and the protection is disabled then I won't use the internet as previously when the backup was running I used to minimise everything and use the pc as normal, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hi drinkingbird but what I meant was while the backup is running and the protection is disabled then I won't use the internet as previously when the backup was running I used to minimise everything and use the pc as normal, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah I see. Well you should be able to get it working with firewalls etc enabled, the disabling the firewall is just for testing to narrow down where you need to focus. I know many of the 3rd party firewalls have different options for windows file sharing, like symantec lets you disable it while screen saver is active, so look for settings like that. You shouldn't need to do any application specific rules, it should know what to allow based on your file sharing setting, and there are many components involved in file transfers. Or like I said, just add a manual rule to allow all traffic between the IPs in question (if all else fails).

The challenge is when you disable the 3rd party firewall, the windows firewall automatically takes over, but if you are set to "private" then it should allow file sharing. You can check in the settings as you can tell it how to handle private networks and what to allow.

Hi drinkingbird how do I do ' just add a manual rule to allow all traffic between the IPs in question' is this in reference to windows firewall. When I disable the KIS then I also disabled windows defender firewall manually. Am I able to also 'manually able to create the just add a manual rule to allow all traffic between the IPs in question' in the ax88u router.

Hi drinkingbird how do I do ' just add a manual rule to allow all traffic between the IPs in question' is this in reference to windows firewall. When I disable the KIS then I also disabled windows defender firewall manually. Am I able to also 'manually able to create the just add a manual rule to allow all traffic between the IPs in question' in the ax88u router.

This is nothing to do with the router, no rule needed there.

KIS and windows firewall both should allow you to add a "permit" rule for the IPs in question.

If it does not work when both firewalls are disabled (on both computers), something else on one of the machines is broken. In this scenario, assuming both are wired and you haven't done any custom VLANs etc on the router, the router is just a switch and is not interfering, doesn't come into play.

Ok drinkingbird I've decided to do a clean win 10 x64 clean install on my pc as this has been going on for to long I'll let you know how it goes after, could take a while though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!