What's new

gl-iNet USB150 - might be one of most interesting devices in 2019

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
They're either going to like me or hate me - they got a lot of attention just ahead of Chinese New Year, and got caught short of inventory...

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-usb150/

It's a USB Router-AP that is ATH9K based. Wireless hackers (white hat as well as black hat) know how sweet ATH9K is these days.

It's sold as a Travel Router - but it's much more that that...

I'm using it as a Wireless Client Station - but I've preconfigured it with Stubby, Wireguard, and TOR, as it's OpenWRT based.

And once set up - I'm running it on a ChromeBook as a client STA - but I can ssh into the USB150, and use pretty much any package in the OpenWRT distro.

Plug it in, and it shows up as a USB-Ethernet interface - Mac/Win/Linux/ChromeOS

One can run the GL-iNet stock software, but it also has strong OpenWRT roots, so one can cook their own builds.

BTW - nice to see Wireguard as VPN not being terribly hard on the CPU - this is a MIPS24kc based device...

https://blog.hackster.io/gl-inet-gl...sb-and-comes-packed-with-openwrt-21ba67e6bdd3

Screenshot 2019-03-30 at 4.30.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-03-30 at 4.31.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-03-30 at 4.44.53 PM.png

Last edited:
sfx2000, I read your posts with a certain sense of awe, because simply, I cannot fully understand them! :)

I'm sure I'll be singing the praises of this device one day. By then, you'll have moved off to bigger and better things. :D

What can mere mortals like me do with something like this? And yes, I have read the second link you've posted above. ;)

sfx2000, I read your posts with a certain sense of awe, because simply, I cannot fully understand them! :)

I'm sure I'll be singing the praises of this device one day. By then, you'll have moved off to bigger and better things. :D

What can mere mortals like me do with something like this? And yes, I have read the second link you've posted above. ;)
Sometimes it's nice to modernize, rather than live in Routers Past!

It's a fun little toy - set it up, preconfigured, and plug it in...

IMG_1901.JPG

It looks like a Thumb Drive - but it's a fully enabled Linux machine with network connectivity...

Stick this on the back of someone's desktop PC, they'll likely never notice it - if this isn't a Mr. Robot style hacking tool...

(yes, and one can make it Pineapple like, as WiFi PineApple is also based on OpenWRT, just like this device)

Sometimes it's nice to modernize, rather than live in Routers Past!

I think it's kinda fun - this is an N150 device, and on a old chipset - AR9331 - but OpenWRT keeps it current, and the ath9k makes it even more fun.

@L&LD - thanks for the kind comments...

I'm at an age where folks call me "Sir" and "Mister SFX" - not out of respect, but out of pity - "SFX, you look cold, like a sweater to keep you warm?"

Heck - these days, a 16 year old 10th grader can kick my a55, not just physically, but on a tech basis with some of the stuff I helped to invent, and the rest of our gen, we made it better...

Body and Mind moving - sounds so good, and get krush grooving...

Big guys like ATT and IBM, they are all looking for the millennial crowd - which is why I got kicked to the curb.

Don't bury me - I'm not dead yet...