What's new

GNUton fork discussions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Harryerone

New Around Here
Hello GNUton,

I had a Problem with the Unstable: 388.1_0-gnuton0_beta2 Firmware for the Asus Tuf AX5400, if i changed anything the LED Light is going on.
If i Turn LED switch on and then off the Light is off, but if i changed anything again, the Light is on.

1672352201162.png

Hello GNUton,

I had a Problem with the Unstable: 388.1_0-gnuton0_beta2 Firmware for the Asus Tuf AX5400, if i changed anything the LED Light is going on.
If i Turn LED switch on and then off the Light is off, but if i changed anything again, the Light is on.

View attachment 46747
That brings a new meaning to night light. Need extra light at night? Just quickly update your router settings and the lights come on! @Tech9 this has to be a new Asuswrt feature. Does it do this for you on stock firmware too?

@Tech9 this has to be a new Asuswrt feature.

No kidding. I test the LEDs on/off every time because on one of the firmware releases the LEDs were turning off, but never coming back on. I remember most of the bugs I've seen before and do target testing first. Unfortunately, on every release one thing is fixed and another is broken. The latest AX86U stock firmware is no exception. I start to understand better why folks are so impatient for firmware updates - there is always a hope for fix coming. :confused:

Thank you @GNUton for your work!

I was looking for a way to set up Mullvad on my router, and my farm is full of only ZenWiFi XT-8's. Lo and behold, here is a fork! Why is it not included in the offical Merlin homepage?

Why is it not included in the offical Merlin homepage?
Because I don't control forks, Gnuton entirely develop and maintains his fork on his own. I do mention them on the About page tho.

Code:
[HEADING=3]Forks and variants[/HEADING]

There are a number of forks available which may cover different models. These are the two main projects:

Gnuton: https://gnuton.github.io/asuswrt-merlin.ng

Supported models:

[LIST]
[*]DSL-AC68U
[*]DSL-AX82U
[*]RT-AX82U
[*]RT-AX92U
[*]ZenWIFi XT8
[*]ZenWIFi ET8
[*]TUF-AX5400
[*]TUF-AX3000
[/LIST]

They are rearly updated and Gnuton seems not that active. Too bad you don't support those models too.

They are rearly updated and Gnuton seems not that active. Too bad you don't support those models too.
For RMerlin, that would be too great of a task with the load he already supports. Why do you think Gnuton limits his update process? The amount of work he does and the amount of times he is required to troubleshoot his individualized fork is high due to the complexity of porting over RMerlins branch changes. Not to mention, GNuton has specialized batches for DSL routers. RMerlin does not focus on such.

For RMerlin, that would be too great of a task with the load he already supports. Why do you think Gnuton limits his update process? The amount of work he does and the amount of times he is required to troubleshoot his individualized fork is high due to the complexity of porting over RMerlins branch changes. Not to mention, GNuton has specialized batches for DSL routers. RMerlin does not focus on such.
Because it is too quite on gnutons github and I see ppl are still bringing new issues
regarding the final release with no answers.

Some of the Gnuton routers supported are gaming routers, quite similar to what is supported directly by RMerlin. Others are DSL routers which are their own thing. With the 22525 code base hopefully that brings a more stable and easier to support base for the Gnuton fork.

Because it is too quite on gnutons github and I see ppl are still bringing new issues
regarding the final release with no answers.
Some of the issues are well thought through with lots of data, and some are not. That makes maintenance time consuming and labor intense.

Hi, i have a question, in the last fw 388.1 have a openvpn 2.6.1?

Hello @GNUton .

Thanks for all your work. I personally appreciate it very much.

I notice that RMerlin has started alpha builds of 388.2. Wondering if that means we might start to see GNUton alpha builds as well.

TIA