What's new

Going from DD-WRT K3X -> Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

morecrap

Occasional Visitor
[Solved] Going from DD-WRT K3X -> Asuswrt-Merlin

Hi guys,

I wanted to try out the new Asuswrt Merlin build for my RT-N16 and ran into a rough patch.

I have been running DD-WRT since a very long time. Specifically K3X builds.

Now, when I restored to the Merlin build, it asked me to set a wireless password and then the wireless stopped working, even the LED is off in this state. Not only that, my internet connection wouldn't even work on my wired desktop client.

I am using a 3G USB modem from Huawei, which connects by the way, because I'm able to ping to an external IP (I tried 8.8.8.8 ) from SSH.

Have I messed something up, seriously? because, everything is working when DD-WRT K3X builds are installed.

Router Model: Asus RT-N16
DD-WRT Build used: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/10/13) big (SVN revision 21530)

Asus stock build tried: RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374_5517-g302e4dc

Asuswrt-Merlin build tried: RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.45_0

3G Modem model: Huawei E352 (unlocked)

What am I missing?

Please help!

UPDATE:

So, people, whoever faces this problem, and you will face this problem if you're coming from dd-wrt K3X to stock or Merlin. You may need to do this in SSH/ Telnet:

mtd-erase -d jffs2
mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

This way your wireless and everything else should resume working again.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It sounds like you can connect to the router via SSH?

If so, enter the following....

Code:
mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

This will wipe everything clean and you'll have to reconfigure from scratch (don't try and restore any saved configurations).

Good luck!

just suggest

if u use huawei 3g modem, i advise don't use Asuswrt-Merlin build RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.45_0 cause it doesn't work with me with RT-N16.

Use Asuswrt-Merlin build RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43 or the update one from john, it working with me

Should I also clear the cfe_nvram partition?

I have reverted to DD-WRT K3X for now and /proc/mtd reads the following:

root@DD-WRT:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00040000 00020000 "cfe"
mtd1: 01f80000 00020000 "linux"
mtd2: 00f37800 00020000 "rootfs"
mtd3: 00020000 00020000 "nvram"
mtd4: 00e80000 00020000 "ddwrt"
mtd5: 00020000 00020000 "cfe_nvram"
root@DD-WRT:~#

Last edited:
if u use huawei 3g modem, i advise don't use Asuswrt-Merlin build RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.45_0 cause it doesn't work with me with RT-N16.

Use Asuswrt-Merlin build RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43 or the update one from john, it working with me

My issue is that the wireless has also stopped working under stock or Merlin's builds..

Should I also clear the cfe_nvram partition?

I have reverted to DD-WRT K3X for now and /proc/mtd reads the following:

I'm not sure when the cfe-nvram partition gets initialized, so I wouldn't.

Hi guys, I tried the nvram erase thing. It didn't work. Still no wifi/ internet sharing (though the router is dialing the 3G connection and pings an external IP when i SSH into it) on Asuswrt. Flashed DD-WRT again.

Please help!

When running DD-WRT did you change any of the country/region settings? If so, try setting those back to the default before loading the new fw.....

Also, did you try a 'WPS reset"? Power off the router. Press and hold the small WPS button while*turning the power back on. Keep holding the WPS button pressed for about ten seconds, then release the WPS button. All settings have now been wiped, the router will reboot and default settings will be used.

Yeah.. I did that.. Only instead of 10, I did a 30-30-30.. This is what I did:

1. On dd-wrt, performed a 30-30-30 reset with the WPS button.
2. Put the router in recovery to flash Asuswrt and flashed it, and it fails every time!
3. Restored back to dd-wrt, and performed a 30-30-30 again.
4. From dd-wrt flashed the Asuswrt image.
5. Again performed a 30-30-30.

Even this didn't work. Also, I replaced step 5 with mtd-erase -d nvram or mtd erase -r nvram. Same results.

Yeah, so one thing is funny, whenever I flash Asuswrt via recovery, it fails and I have to use dd-wrt to do it.

Last edited:
What does the popup say when you hover on the wireless icon in the upper right corner?

A couple more ideas....(I'm just about out)....
If you have a usb drive/drives connected, disconnect them.
If you are using jffs, disable it....

Did this without any USB devices attached as well. Not using jffs.

It seems the router has committed itself to dd-wrt K3X and refuses to work on any other firmware.. :/

I just can't let go of a mystery......

I'm thinking maybe your CFE got corrupted somehow. You could dump the CFE with this command (with jffs enabled)

Code:
cat /dev/mtd0 > /jffs/scripts/cfe.dump

And then compare it to one of the known good ones at this link....

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=17793

If you'd like some help, if you send me the cfe.dump I'd be happy to look at it as well.

On dd-wrt you don't do 30/30/30 with the wps button, you need to use the reset button.

Ok guys.. I finally did it!

The disabling jffs idea gave me a clue.

First off, I restored to a stock build. Then:

mtd-erase -d jffs2
mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

Now installed John's updated build.

And that was it. Everything works like it should!

John, I'm now using your Merlin fork and it works perfect with my Huawei E352 (I chose E372 from the dropdown).

Will report more after I monitor this for some hours.

Thanks a lot for your help! Will keep you guys posted!

Cheers!

P.S.: This isn't a one off case. The same problem was appearing in my friend's N16 and he did what I just suggested and this fixed his problem too!

Last edited:
Ok guys.. I finally did it!

The disabling jffs idea gave me a clue.

Great work! Will have to add this one to the list of 'recovery methods'....

I do know that DD-WRT handles the mtd partitions differently....so a couple of guesses.....

The ASUS firmware:
- saw a different partition and thought it was jffs and couldn't handle it
- needed space in its partitioning scheme and couldn't get it because it ran into what it thought was a jffs partition