What's new

Gone from N66 to AC68, all good except media server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pkbristol

Regular Contributor
Hi, i hope i'm posting this in the correct section.
Ok, i've had an N66 for a few years now, been solid on Merlins 270.26, i'm running about 9 wireless ip cams, tablets, tv's, phones, chromecasts etc, all wireless, and a server program (serviio) on my hardwired windows pc , all has been good on the N66, apart from a couple of cameras on the edge of the wifi.
A couple of days ago i purchased an RT-AC68, HW version A2, firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9493, first thing i did was install Merlins 380.62_0 then i proceeded to set it up, all devices have static ip, including main pc, a few ports are open,new DDNS for cameras, 2.4ghz and 5ghz have the same name and password as the N66, all devices reconnected, cameras view remotely, all good,,,
Except, Serviio, the media server app on my pc, it keeps disappearing and reappearing from my android devices and my tv's. So, i thought i'd try to redo my wifi settings on my Sony TV, it did a scan, found no networks,but that's been intermittent, at the moment serviio is discoverable and i'm able to stream movies from pc to TV. Interestingly though, when Serviio is not discoverable, on any device, i can still get on the internet from those devices, ie, youtube on the tv or tablets, so obviously those devices are still connected to the wifi. Sometimes, my androids can see serviio and my tv, but my tv can't see serviio, but i can send the movies from serviio to the tv with the android. Nothing makes sense. Could it be a router firmware issue ?
I've heard about Johns firmware, is that stable ? Can i just install that over Merlins ? If so, factory reset after then manually settings ?
I'm proper confused here.

Thanks, Paul.