What's new

Good AiMesh node companion for RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikael

Occasional Visitor
Any recommendations for a cost efficient solution to extend the range of an RT-AC88U taking the following into account:

1. I have an Ethernet connection from the AC88U LAN-port to the 2nd access point (WAN) so I don't need to use WiFi bandwidth for the "extension"
  2. I would like to manage the network from the AC88U utilizing features like Roaming Assistant, QoS etc. so that they apply to all WiFi Clients, both connected to the AC88U as well as the 2nd access point. Are these features that would be site-wide if both routers are AiMesh compatible?
  3. Decent AC WiFi performance is enough for the 2nd access point, so it does not have to be a top-of-the line router, like a 2nd AC88U, but something cost efficient
  4. I have a 1Gb fiber connection to the house, but AC 2x2 867Mbps is sufficient as most clients don't support more than this
Any help or ideas for suitable products, much appreciated!

Any recommendations for a cost efficient solution to extend the range of an RT-AC88U taking the following into account:

1. I have an Ethernet connection from the AC88U LAN-port to the 2nd access point (WAN) so I don't need to use WiFi bandwidth for the "extension"
  2. I would like to manage the network from the AC88U utilizing features like Roaming Assistant, QoS etc. so that they apply to all WiFi Clients, both connected to the AC88U as well as the 2nd access point. Are these features that would be site-wide if both routers are AiMesh compatible?
  3. Decent AC WiFi performance is enough for the 2nd access point, so it does not have to be a top-of-the line router, like a 2nd AC88U, but something cost efficient
  4. I have a 1Gb fiber connection to the house, but AC 2x2 867Mbps is sufficient as most clients don't support more than this
Any help or ideas for suitable products, much appreciated!

1. Set the node connection priority to Wired/Ethernet to be sure the wireless backhaul is not used unless needed.

2. AiMesh is centrally managed from the root node/router webUI. Traffic routes through the root node and is subject to settings there like with any router.

3. The AC66U B1 is similar to an AC68U. Next up is the AC86U with stronger hardware and a touch more WiFi range. I'd probably use the 86U as router and the 88U as node.

The AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so require using separate SSIDs, which I recommend using anyway.

4. Most/all AC routers likely support 2 streams for 866 Mbps. The 86U has a 4th internal antenna for the 5.0 band.

OE

RT-AC66U_B1 is the best bang for your buck right now. The RT-AX56U is also worth considering if you don't require more than 2x2 wifi from that node.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!