What's new

Good mesh system for 2500 sq ft house? Tried Asus AX aimesh but not satisfied.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pauluk

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

Have been trying to get an asus RT-AX86U router with a zen wifi AX (2 pack) and am not getting a smooth transition between rooms when say on a call. It drops out for a few seconds and then reconnects. Wifi strength in general is good and when it is connected getting about 400Mb/sec. I have the router connected to a 10Gbe switch and then each mesh connected to the switch via their 2.5Gbe ports. Just wanted to know if this is a common issue or would i be better off looking for another brand. I`m still within the 30 days returns for the Zen wifi. My isp also provided me with a Fritz router that i could go with an purchase the wifi repeaters for that.

Thanks in advance.

I would try with all identical routers (i.e. another RT-AX86U) instead and return the Zen.

How big is your home (or is it the construction materials within) that you need three routers? You may be seeing a case of too much WiFi for your space.

The GT-AX6000 is an upgrade (much better throughput) over the excellent RT-AX86U, and is also a consideration.

Thanks, the house is 3 floors and 2600 sq ft with solid brick walls and also a 150ft long garden. Was finding that I had dead areas around the house or outside. Saying that i`ve just tried separating my 2.4/5ghz ssid as they were combined and just tried a zoom call walking around the house and it didnt stutter at all. So i wonder if it could be having the smart connect on which combined the 2.4/5ghz channels that caused it.

Thanks, the house is 3 floors and 2600 sq ft with solid brick walls and also a 150ft long garden. Was finding that I had dead areas around the house or outside. Saying that i`ve just tried separating my 2.4/5ghz ssid as they were combined and just tried a zoom call walking around the house and it didnt stutter at all. So i wonder if it could be having the smart connect on which combined the 2.4/5ghz channels that caused it.

Two good nodes as far apart as possible should cover the house and property. I would try with both Smart Connect (different SSIDs per band) and Roaming Assistant disabled before throwing in the towel. Only connect clients to the preferred band/SSID. And it can only help to sit down to conduct/finish a call. :)

OE

Disable Smart Connect as others have suggested. If you can move the AX86 to be as central in the space as possible and minimize walls between service areas, you may only need the AX86. I ran wire behind a couch and put my AX92 on a end table. Get it off walls and as high as possible. Line of Sight > Door > Inside Wall >> Outside Wall

I have a difficult house with lots of metal, stone, stucco exterior, etc... I use three AC86Us, one per floor (4000sqft total) and it works well -- I had to do some signal strength tuning and channel selection to optimize it.

Hi All

Have been trying to get an asus RT-AX86U router with a zen wifi AX (2 pack) and am not getting a smooth transition between rooms when say on a call. It drops out for a few seconds and then reconnects. Wifi strength in general is good and when it is connected getting about 400Mb/sec. I have the router connected to a 10Gbe switch and then each mesh connected to the switch via their 2.5Gbe ports. Just wanted to know if this is a common issue or would i be better off looking for another brand. I`m still within the 30 days returns for the Zen wifi. My isp also provided me with a Fritz router that i could go with an purchase the wifi repeaters for that.

Thanks in advance.
You're doing a 2.5ge backhaul and getting 400mbps?

I do this using a NWA210AX and paired with a AX210 card get over 1GE and with an AX411 getting 1.5GE. Something isn't quite right here considering you're hardwired to the "AP's".

What adapters are in the devices? This is usually the part people forget about but is just as important as the "AP" you're using as well.

Disable all the crap on the AP's that's not useful for pure speed and throughput. It's all there for show and doesn't help you move data. Testing your BW internally on the LAN is priority as it will show you where your bottlenecks are before worrying about WAN access.