What's new

good modem router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

My Netgear DGN3500 seems to be getting flaky so I need to find a replacement.
I use a lot of port-forwarding and advanced wireless functions. I'd like VLAN or otherwise separated wireless guest access. Dual-band would be great. Gigabit is a must.

Any suggestions on a reliable DSL modem router with a good interface and advanced functions?

Justin

My Netgear DGN3500 seems to be getting flaky so I need to find a replacement.
I use a lot of port-forwarding and advanced wireless functions. I'd like VLAN or otherwise separated wireless guest access. Dual-band would be great. Gigabit is a must.

Any suggestions on a reliable DSL modem router with a good interface and advanced functions?

Justin
Your request very specific and in all I know, Huawei E5186 may be compare your requirements. I am using the Huawei E8278, a router withmodem, the signal is very strong, if you want to change the idea that you can try.

As nadina said, Huawei E5186 is a very good choice for you if you want to know specific information can always tell me, now I was using HuaweiE5186, it makes me surprised.

Never been a big fan of the all-in-one boxes. Daughter had one in her new house in south carolina, netgear cable modem/router, they seemed to last about 6 months then go belly up. After the third one that was replaced by the cableco I replaced it with a surfboard and a netgear N300 if I remember correctly, that was almost two years ago, I also put a APC ups in there as well. A second one is going into their powercenter/computer desk where they charge their laptops, pads and phones when we go down there in November. They seem to have a lot of electrical problems down in that area on the coast. I don't know who makes a good DSL only box, DSL is not that popular in my area, too slow and they only offer ADSL 1.5mb 'high speed' vs cable which is from 5mb to 60mb.

Never been a big fan of the all-in-one boxes.

Me either. I believe the modem should do one thing and do it well, and the router should do all of my networking bidding. Finding a single device that did them both at the same time was difficult.

Around here the cable company uses motorola modems, which I always just told them to bridge and give my router the WAN IP. The perk of doing it this way, if we have a lightning hit that kills the modem, they'll replace it with no questions asked. Given that they can cost ~$100 and I live in Florida, I figured that was worth the $2-3/month modem rental fee.

Me either. I believe the modem should do one thing and do it well, and the router should do all of my networking bidding. Finding a single device that did them both at the same time was difficult.

Around here the cable company uses motorola modems, which I always just told them to bridge and give my router the WAN IP. The perk of doing it this way, if we have a lightning hit that kills the modem, they'll replace it with no questions asked. Given that they can cost ~$100 and I live in Florida, I figured that was worth the $2-3/month modem rental fee.

True, though it was interesting logging into a surfboard and looking vs the cable co supplied one where you had to take their word for it. It was good to be able to look at signal levels and tell them the underground cable was bad and they need to replace it, they don't like hearing that but they did drag a ditchwitch out and put in new heavier cable. But I'm now back to cable co supplied cable modem and phone service since we dropped Verizon copper. The installer was happy to see it was going into a UPS though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!