What's new

Good PC network card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

under555

New Around Here
Hi, I am looking for a WIFI network card (it would be nice if it was with BT) for my PC.

I can't let the cable go, I know it will be worse on WIFI, but it's hard.

Currently I have a router with UPC (polish company) with a 500 mega net (weak router, I know) but soon there will be a router with WIFI 6 from another 1 giga operator - no router crazy, but let's say that it must be enough for the time being.
the current router is
Compal Broadband Networks CH7465LG-LC (the one from UPC) but I think it's less important because I can always buy my router in the future

I did two tests on the current router

on the desk there was an antenna from my current network card (such a crap that I disconnected it at all), i.e. Asus PCE-AC88 (in my computer)

interestingly, on the same desk I put my Thinkpad laptop with an Intel AX210NGW network card, i.e. ax210NGW
I didn't set anything up neither the computer nor the laptop, i.e. I didn't set anything up in the network cards.

Much better internet parameters were on the laptop.

The topic was so tiring that in the end (from six months ago) I gave it up, but now I want to quickly buy a PC card.

Back then, from what I remember, the final conclusion was that the Intel based network cards work best and my asus has something other than intel.

So: what network card to buy? one on the pcie (Or USB) so that the antenna was on the cable, so that it could stand on the desk.

Under WIFI 6, I would like it to serve for a long time with the latest possible chipset.

I assume that if the 2-year-old card in my thinkpad works cool, then some newer PC intel will be even better - at least a little.

What to buy and why?

Welcome to the forums @under555.

I rarely recommend a 'network card' for a desktop PC. I consider those a huge waste of money (and performance).

Buy a new/second-hand router that has Media Bridge mode instead. You may find one at a garage sale for $5 or so...

The RT-AC56U (yes, a very old model today) still works well in this mode. And the fact that you can locate it for optimal reception in the room of the computer (which you would run an Ethernet cable to), makes it not only superior in performance, latency and no possibility of 'wreaking' the OS and/or hardware install of your desktop computer, but also future usable too.

Alternately, you may consider one of the suggested routers in the link below to use as your main router (if the current router offers Media Bridge mode). Or, if they are within your budget, the RT-AC86U or the RT-AX68U will provide an almost 'plugged in' experience, wirelessly.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Media Bridge Mode

I don't know if I understand you well
the network would look like this
Main router from a company with internet (currently 500 Mb / s on compal router but will be 1000 Mb / s from another company with wifi router 6)
wifi off in it, only ethernet connectors left (the more, the better for me)
one rj45 interet to release to the router some with good antenatmi + WIFI 6

TV and everything on the cable is on the cable

And for a PC, instead of a network card like asus or something, it is a purchase of a router with wifi 6, on an intel, preferably with good antennas as a receiver, right?

What cheapest models of router + router as a network adapter would you advise to have good wifi 6?

I think I've already answered all your questions, above. :)

Note, you don't need an AX router to use as a Media Bridge. But if you did, you may potentially have greater than 1Gbps speeds to that PC (at least for large files, smaller files will still be seeing high overhead of WiFi, of course).

I had to buy a temporary wireless solution for my daughter at home. Yes, it was my mistake as she talked me into installing a fax line instead of Ethernet. Now no more fax and she needs an Ethernet connection for her desktop at home. She building a new home to move into this summer so I bought her a Bluetooth wireless USB adapter. It will get her by until she moves in her new home.

PS
It was about $25 or less.

Last edited:
My wife's desktop is on USB Wi-Fi. She decided to re-organize her office and of course the network plate is on the opposite wall now. Got her one with external stand and ears. Works really well, holds 866Mbps link all the time. My ISP is 500Mbps and the PC gets full speed for $35.

The only option at this point for most AX implementations are based on Intel and out of the 200/1 and 210/1 options the ax210 is more stable. I played with the 200 version and it dropped out quite a bit and the 210 doesn't. The key to either though is grabbing the updated drivers before installing the card as the OS uses older drivers that produce bad speeds.

Also, the 210 is 6E ready for 6ghz spectrum when more "routers" get released to take advantage of them.

There should be no difference in performance/stability between a 200/210. I had a bunch of 200s and later 210s in the same 1/2 dozen laptops. Aside from 6Ghz, saw no differences in benchmark testing or stability, testing with various routers.

Any differences you saw I’m inclined to attribute to newer Intel ax drivers that have become more stable by the time the 210 was out vs the initial ax drivers when the 200 was released, or dud cards honestly.

Having said that I’d probably get the 210/211 for 6 GHz support considering prices aren’t far apart.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!