What's new

Good replacement for RT N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PartisanEntity

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

Been using an RT N66U for several years now without problems. However since the official Asus-Merlin build no longer supports this router since several releases, I am thinking about upgrading it.

Any recommendations for a good replacement?

Requirements: an apartment over 2 floors, laptops, desktops, fire tv, roku, several smartphones, a webcam as well as some IoT devices.

Hi there,

Been using an RT N66U for several years now without problems. However since the official Asus-Merlin build no longer supports this router since several releases, I am thinking about upgrading it.

Any recommendations for a good replacement?

Requirements: an apartment over 2 floors, laptops, desktops, fire tv, roku, several smartphones, a webcam as well as some IoT devices.
Probably you could upgrade to the AC66U_B1 it is cheap, (is actually a AC68U). I would stay away from the AC3200 but anything else is ok. The newest routers being AC86U and AX88U.

The AC86U is a solid price/performance replacement option. It has a significantly better CPU then older models with hardware encryption support to improve VPN speeds.

If you're on a tight budget the AC66U_B1 (which confusingly enough is an updated AC68U) is a good choice.

If money isn't a concern and you want the latest then look for the AX88U.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have gone ahead and installed the fork of Asuswrt-Merlin as suggested.

As for router choice, ideally I would want the newest in the hopes that it lasts me a long time. But €300+ seems insane for a router (AX88U) to be honest, does it make coffee too? :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!