What's new

Good router with sticky load balancing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NecroGiggles

New Around Here
I purchased a Synology RT2600ac set it up in load balancing mode + failover. Now I am getting problems with websites not loading and just strange things in general with Netflix. If I use just one Wan no problem.

After doing more research I think I need a router that supports sticky load balancing and the Linksys lrt224 seems to fit the requirement. I don't want to buy the router if it's not going to fix the problem or if just getting a cheaper router with load balancing and port protocol routing would work just as well for example, a TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN.

The reason for this is one of the connections get super slow when it rains and after having 9 techs come out to try and fix it no luck. I want to use load balancing as a way to dynamically move all the traffic to the 2nd wan when the 1st get super slow. When everything is fine I want to use wan 1 for all gaming traffic and wan 2 for all streaming/web browsing traffic.

It's also a fun project I just help getting the right gear.

Thanks

Load balancing like that in consumer products is tough if not impossible to find reliably working. You'll need something geared towards enterprises to work well, and that may cost a bit.

All Mikrotik routers, even the cheapest sub-$100, can do many forms of enterprise load balancing and are known for being high value, lost cost devices. You could get a Mikrotik hEX (RB750gr3) or the new hap ac 2, for example.

Mikrotik are also some of the most difficult to configure if you get into them, so there's a learning curve you have to be ready for.

But I still don't think they can help with load balancing in such a way when a link becomes slower--even my $2000 watchguard can't do that afaik.