Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Good travel router?

Discussion in 'Routers' started by wkearney99, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:49 PM.

1. wkearney99

wkearney99 New Around Here

I've had a Zyxel MWR222 for ages and it's a bit slow. It's nicest feature is integrated support for a USB cell modem. Very handy when there's no wired Ethernet at a hotel. It also has a built-in battery and a very compact form-factor. I don't really ever depend on the battery, so that's not a must-have.

Downside is that it's not very fast, and it lacks any kind of support for making VPN connections from the router itself. That'd save me from having to make a VPN connection from individual devices. I'd love to have the router 'nail up' a VPN connection and force all traffic through it. WPA2 into the router, L2TP back home and avoid the local network entirely. Plus is some tablet apps get faked into thinking the gizmo is still back home (provided GPS is off, of course).

The important factors would be USB cell modem compatibility, small form-factor, vpn client connections. I'd really prefer something small. I don't want to have to lug a generic SOHO router around. The MWR-222 is hardly larger than a pack of cigarettes, or half the height of a paperback book. I don't need it to be "that" small but close would be nice.

Optionally support for serving out media to local connections would be great. As in, stream movies for the kid's tablet while at the hotel.

Any alternatives out there worth considering?

2. Mindthoughts

Mindthoughts New Around Here

You have to read also reviews to see if a travel router will be good for you. I found these two to be a nice travel travel routers. Hootoo and TP-Link N150 (TL-WR702N) are also worth considering.

3. wkearney99

wkearney99 New Around Here

Neither of which appear support a USB cell modem, nor VPN client functionality. So, no, those aren't going to provide what I want.