What's new

google cast might affect asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've actually been battling serious network issues lately. I've been trying to find the culprit. Today I disconnected all 3 Chromecasts and we'll see what happens

I've actually been battling serious network issues lately. I've been trying to find the culprit. Today I disconnected all 3 Chromecasts and we'll see what happens
Have google home and 2 chromecasts how to know or identify if the issue is affecting, I know my wifi is having issues, but my ISP is really really bad

how to know or identify if the issue is affecting, I know my wifi is having issues, but my ISP is really really bad

The bug is known to affect the entire router, i.e. internet traffic too.

You'll have to troubleshoot. Either turn off all the Homes and Chromecasts and see if that helps everything else. Or try a brand that seems to be not affected, like Ubiquity

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but I keep seeing talk of unplugging Homes and Chromecasts and don't understand how that would fix things.
According to the assessment by the TP-Link engineers, which so far is the only explanation I've found and seems to be quoted in part all over the web, it is apps on Android 7/8 that have the ability to "cast" that are flooding routers with mDNS, as they normally send packets out every 20 seconds, but when waking after suspended, can send 100,000 plus if suspended long enough.

Seems like, in that case, whether your Home, Chromecast, etc are connected or not, the Apps are still going to query for something to cast to, and still flood your router. Seems like only not using YouTube, Play Music, Home, etc apps, or disabling the ability to cast in those apps, if that's even an option, would be the only way to turn this off.

But, maybe I'm misunderstanding something, or it's actually the devices replying to the 100,000 queries that locks up routers or something. The proof is in the pudding, so if anyone has success by unplugging their devices, that would tell us something. Personally, I think my family would rather deal with the periodic network drops than go without their Home / Minis.

Seems like, in that case, whether your Home, Chromecast, etc are connected or not, the Apps are still going to query for something to cast to, and still flood your router.
I think you're correct. I'm still seeing problems and my Chromecasts are off.

I have recently purchased a Vizio chromecast enabled soundbar sb3651-e6 and can confirm that it is the culprit that once in a while kills my network where I no longer can even reach my Asus 3200 router on the LAN from my PC.

The sb3651-e6 has a physical ethernet port, and if I disconnect that port from my network, I can then reach my router from my PC.

My PC is hardwired into an ethernet switch (24 port trendnet) that is then connected to one of the router ports. Not sure if the flooding is causing my switch to die or the router itself as the Vizio is also connected to the switch.

Next time it happens, I will plug my PC directly into the router to check.

*Note I have had the vizio smartcast app on my phone switched on, so it could be the app that is causing the flooding