What's new

Google FI VPN issue on phone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ct1615

Regular Contributor
Shorty History; Google FI is a MVNO that offers a VPN for mobile and wi-fi data on my google pixel 3a. With the VPN on I receive a small drop in performance on my home Asus broadcom chip router which is expected, from 115/38 Mbps down and up to about 90/27.

Recently I am working back in our office rather then from home and I believe Google has released a new version of the VPN as I notice my phone wifi network is at a crawl but other mobile clients are running fine. Our router at work is a Linksys E2500 (also broadcom chip) and there has not been any new firmware upgrades this year. With the VPN on I'm getting .26/20 Mbps down and up and with the VPN off the speed is 65/35. I ran the test three times and never broke .5 Mbps down with the VPN on but the starnge thing is the VPN had no such issues with the router back in March or any time prior. Is there a setting in the router console that may solve this issue?

Obviously this is not a major issue but more of a curiosity.

Seems like I remember reading something about this on reddit not to long ago. If I remember correctly it was an issue with Google's vpn. I don't think it has anything to do with your router. You might check out https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleFi/ and see what you can find there.