1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Google Home/Chromecast Issues with AX88U and AX92U

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by idefix, Sep 19, 2019.

  1. idefix

    idefix Occasional Visitor

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    Messages:
    17
    Hi guys,

    I recently migrated my network from a AC3200 and a few range extenders to a AX88U (main router running latest MerlinWRT) with 2 AI Mesch Routers connected to it (AX92U running latest stock FW).

    Since the migration, I have very strange issues with my Google Home/Chromecast setup.

    Here is the setup:
    - 3 Google Home/Chromecast which connect wirelessly to the main router which is directly connected to the OTN
    - 2 Google Home which connect wirelessly to the 1st AX92U which in turn connects wired to the AX88U
    - 1 Google Home which connects wirelessly to the 2nd AX92U which in turn connects wirelessly to the AX88U

    I can see the connections on the network map.

    First issue after I set it up:
    1. The AX88U connected units worked perfectly. The wired (1st) AX92U units worked perfectly and groups between both worked as well. The unit which connects to the 2nd AX92U which is wirelessly connected to the AX88U, however, could not be seen when I was on the AX88U network. Once I moved the phone over to the 2nd AX92U network it could see the Google Home as well as the devices on the rest of the network. Playing to a group which consisted out of all google homes however only started playback on the device which was connected to the 2nd AX92U. When I moved the phone back to connect to the AX88U the same play command resulted in the music playing on the devices in the rest of the network except on the Google Home connected to the 2nd AX92U (so it worked with the AX92U which is connected via LAN but not the one which is connected wirelessly).
    Interestingly if I switched the 2nd AX92U off and let the Google Home connect to another device, starting and playing a stream worked fine to the full group even after powering the 2nd AX92 back on (Google Homme connected back to it). Stopping and restarting the stream, however, resulted in exactly the same issue as above.
    In order to get it working, I finally left the wirelessly connected AX92U off and moved the Google Home so it could connect to the AX88U.

    Second issue after 5 days of operation:
    2. Suddenly groups have stopped working again. This time independent of the router (AX88U or 1st AX92U) it is connected, too. It will not play groups anymore but only one device.
    Now the interesting part: rebooting the router will make it work immediately again - sometimes for a day, sometimes less. Each time a reboot of the router fixes the problem.

    Router settings:
    - AP isolation is off
    - IGMP Snooping is on
    - Airtime Fairness is off
    - Roaming assistant is off
    - Multicast routing (IGMP proxy) is on

    Appreciate any tips on how to troubleshoot this issue.

    Thanks !
     
  2. follower

    follower Regular Contributor

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2014
    Messages:
    191
    Come here.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac88u-kernel-net_ratelimit-number-callbacks-suppressed.57810/
     
  3. richardeid

    richardeid Regular Contributor

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2012
    Messages:
    76
    Could be just bad timing. For me, my issues with Google Home and casting to speakers/speaker groups started with the rollout of Android 10 to my Pixel. Some things still work OK, other things don't. Over on the Google Home community forums there have been tons of complaints about recent changes. For a lot of people, the problems started a little bit before the Android 10 rollout, which means the timing for me may have also been coincidental. If you read through a lot of the threads it kinda seems like maybe it was a Google Home firmware update. Here is a thread I piggybacked off of to detail a small slice of the problems I'm having:

    https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/14124035

    I got a response that they would escalate the issue to the team handling Google Home products, so we'll see what happens.

    After playing around a ton, I've noticed that sorta, kinda casting to a single device can work OK but casting to speaker groups, especially ones with mixed devices (like say a Home Mini and a Chromecast Audio) will never work that great.

    Anyway, I guess it could be a previously existing issue with Home devices, but maybe also keep an eye out for firmware updates for these devices and see if that fixes the issue.
     
  4. RMerlin

    RMerlin Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2012
    Messages:
    31,163
    Location:
    Canada
    BTW, no problem casting here with my nVidia Shield (which has builtin Chromecast) and my RT-AX88U. Streamed a few hockey games this weeks.
     
  5. thc

    thc Occasional Visitor

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2015
    Messages:
    20
    merlin have not problem.. soo nobody can not have problem. what a logic.... asus maan))
     
  6. RMerlin

    RMerlin Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2012
    Messages:
    31,163
    Location:
    Canada
    I never said that, I merely provided a data point...
     
    avtella likes this.