What's new

Google is able to bypass my VPN somehow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lbnp

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AC86u. It is using an .ovpn file with a residential IP from a US location. When checking most IP websites the VPN IP shows. However, Google Apps under "Security" shows my Thai location:

Linux
Bangkok, Thailand
This device

This is indeed my location. This computer is connected via ethernet to the above VPN router. I don't understand how Google is able to bypass it or find my underlying IPv6 address (I can click a link and it shows the actual IPv6 address).

Anyone know how this is happening?

Does your local PC have a native IPv6 address? Does your OpenVPN tunnel forward IPv6, block it, or leave it be?

IPv6 is a completely different beast than IPv4 and not quite as simple on how to hide your traffic/location.

What type is your device? A PC without WiFi interface or laptop with WiFi interface? If your device has WiFi interface your real location can be easily determined even you do not use the WiFi. If that is the case you should disable the WiFi totally.

IPv6 is disabled. Turning on privacy.resistFingerPrinting in Firefox is able to fix the issue. But causes others which I will create a specific thread to ask about.