What's new

Google knows the geolocation of your WiFi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I recently purchased my first Android (Nvidia) box and posted in the multimedia forum my recent discovery that Android boxes requirement to use Wi-Fi signal of the router to determine geolocation rather than the WAN IP address, or in my case, VPN IP Address.

I have been doing some searching on the topic and found that Google and other vendors are tracking the geolocation of routers, SSID and MAC address included. This has been known for awhile. But never popped up on my radar until now.

Here is a snip from one of the articles:
"How it works, according to Google, is that the Android Location Services periodically checks on your location using GPS, Cell-ID, and Wi-Fi to locate your device. When it does this, your Android phone will send back publicly broadcast Wi-Fi access points' Service set identifier (SSID) and Media Access Control (MAC) data. Again, this isn't just how Google does it; it's how everyone does it. It's Industry practice for location database vendors."

Articles I on the topic:
How Does Google Know Where Your WiFi Router Is?
How to keep your Wi-Fi location out of Google
How Google--and everyone else--gets Wi-Fi location data
Spoofing WiFi geolocation

The only fix I could find is the SkyLift low-cost geolocation spoofing device available for build. Looks interesting.
https://schloss-post.com/the-future-of-living-with-surveillance/
https://github.com/adamhrv/skylift

Last edited:
I have been doing some searching on the topic and found that Google and other vendors are tracking the geolocation of routers, SSID and MAC address included. This has been known for awhile. But never popped up on my radar until now.

It's more the content providers these days - it's complicated, but generally they know your geo - and they don't need Android to get visibility into that...

As much effort as the user community has done to get beyond get blocks, they're doing the same - and they have much more info to work with.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!