What's new

Google: "We paid for a test showing Google WiFi is faster than the competition!"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bernard038

Regular Contributor
Hello All,

Google has partnered with the US based testing company Allion USA to compare Google Wifi with Eero and Luma. I do not know if Google marks it's own paper with this test, as Allion USA is not a household name on this side of the Atlantic. It is, in my view somewhat peculiar that this test is performed with two instead of three mesh-points. As you all, i will wait for the final and only trustworthy judgement of Google Wifi, which, obviously, can only be passed by the staff of SNB ;-)

But in the meantime some light reading from Tom's hardware: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-wifi-vs-luma-eero,news-23899.html and the article from the Google Wifi blog: https://blog.google/products/google-wifi/putting-google-wifi-test/

Cheers, b.

It is common for router manufacturers to pay test houses to test their routers. Linksys often does this with Tolly.

I had not previously heard of Allion. Looks like most of their test facilities are in Asia. There is one U.S. Lab in Oregon.

the main issue i see with that testing is its not testing mesh as such , as they have only used 2 units so no hops involved , so it would also have been fair in that case to also compare the orbi

etherway they cant hide behind untestable claims for much longer and more standard independent voices will judge them against the competition

Seeing more of this topic on various blogs - the Google marketing machine is doing well...

No fault to them, everyone does this to build hype for product...

Just waiting now for Amazon to make their own router.

Or acquire one from some company that makes routers, and re-label it *smile*. It'll be a mesh system as well, I'm sure. You know, the cool kids and all.

It's an interesting time - as both @sm00thpapa and @RogerSC mention - Google's in this now, and perhaps Amazon will step in - I wouldn't be surprised very much of Microsoft also considers things...

And Apple walking away from the Router/AP market...

Hmmm...