What's new

Got a Samsung Connect Home Pro AC 2600, Should I Keep It?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teknition

Occasional Visitor
Short Version - Any added security by separating my IoT devices and IP Cameras to a separate router? Or more of a hassle?

Long: I recently purchased a new TV, and as part of a promotion, I received a Samsung Connect Home Pro AC 2600. If you're not familiar with it, it's an AC router + smart home/IoT hub.

I'm currently running an ASUS AC3200 with Merlin firmware, and it's working great for the 25 clients, 6 of which are are home automation related. However, only a few of them (I believe) work with Samsung Smart Things.

Seems like a capable router, but not something I would replace my ASUS with. Is there any reason for me to keep this, from the perspective of increasing security, or am I better off just selling it? When I say security, I've read some people move all IoT devices to a separate network. I could just buy a switch and have two routers running, this Samsung for IoT, and my ASUS for everything else.

IoT Devices / Stuff I Would Move Over:
- Nest Thermostat
- Google Home
- Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Bridge
- August Smart Lock
- Wemo Light Switch
= Philips Hue Lights
- 4 IP Security Cameras

As I write this, I realize it will be a pain to have my phone on one network, but accessing devices on a different one... (although they can all be accessed remotely)

It uses a Qualcomm IPQ8065 CPU & QCA9984 WiFi chip just like the Netgear R7800 and Synology AC2600 which have among the best 5Ghz WiFi performance. It has 1 GB Ram and apparently 4 GB of flash. It does have a significantly more powerful CPU (~65%) and more advanced WiFi chipset than your Broadcom based AC3200 router. Then again this device is pretty small with internal antennas so not sure how good WiFi performance is. Why not keep it, might make a good unit for OpenWRT (LEDE) or DD-WRT if it doesn’t give you enough user options in stock firmware.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I didn't realize the specs on it were so good. The WiFi performance with my AC3200 is very, very good, so I don't think I'll use it as a replacement (since I'm using a lot of the ASUS/Merlin features on it), but maybe as a separate network. Thanks again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!