What's new

Got new router - now quickbooks cant communicate, help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

murkr

New Around Here
Hello everyone.

I'm decent with computers but don't really understanding networking so bare with me.

Problem: I recently installed a new router in our small office. Now the main computer "the one acting as a server" cant be connected to by the other computers in the office.

It worked fine before the new router, so I'm sure it has to do with that. I'm not sure if its a homegroup or map network problem because I don't know how to trouble shoot them. This was set up before i worked here, and the business owner wants me to figure it out.

CFqMbkN.png

Goal: I need other computers be able to access the main QuickBooks file on the computer that's acting as the server.

How can I ask this?

Thanks in advance for your help, this is causing me a huge headache.

Got a new linksys ac1200+ router that replaced a old d-link.

found out i dont have a homegroup. its just a mapped network drive that i cant access.

I even tried creating a new mapped network on the main computer "server", but i cant access it on the other computers, it doesnt even show up.

on this new mapped network i shared it with "everyone" so i dont know why its not showing up.

Good thing i posted on other message boards where people are actually helpful.

Yes, its a good thing you posted on CNET, Techguy, technet.Microsoft, and techsupportforum, but as far as I can tell, you haven't found a solution to your problem. And you likely won't find one here with your response.

You have not provided any useful detail of your network setup, yet you are insulting everyone for not helping??? Seriously....especially after just an hour or so. If you expect an SLA for help, you cannot rely upon free....there is not any SLA on free help.

On a flat network, the router itself has ZILCH to do with the behavior of CIFS trafffic between two PCs. This traffic should be switched and not routed. So start with checking the IP addresses of the server and the client and confirm they are in the same Layer3 segment. Then you test if you can even ARP and Ping between them.

What a poor attitude by the OP. :(

I'll make an attempt with the tiny bit of info provided.

I don't know if your issue is fixed, but trying powering down (physically unplug the power cords) of the whole network (including switches) for at least 10 minutes (an hour is better). Make sure you unplug all network cables too for that time.

Then, plug in the modem, wait at least 5 minutes and then plug in your router, wait at least 5 minutes and then plug in any switches you may have and then turn on each wired computer (or NAS) as needed. Finally, turn on any additional devices (printers, scanners, etc.).

If the shortcuts still don't work, delete them and go to Network (scroll down in your image, above) and recreate them.

QB's doesn't like the network dropping out. Any shortcuts to the actual *.QBW file(s) most likely need to be recreated too afterwards.

The answer to your problem is to find out the (obviously) new IP address of the "computer being used as server" that your new router has assigned to that device, and to then properly map the drive (using Window File Explorer's "map drive" command) on the computer from which you are trying to access the shared "server" drive on which Quickbooks is located.

You can check the IP address by looking at the properties of the mapped drive link on the remote computer (the one trying to access the server) to be sure that the IP it is mapped to matches the IP address of the computer on which Quickbooks is stored; if it doesn't match, then delete the mapped drive link and re-map the drive once again (the best way is to manually input the "\\server\drive" IP address).

Since the Quickbooks "server" was formerly accessible, you shouldn't need to do anything to that drive's sharing permissions in order to access it again other than make sure that the remote computer is trying to access the correct IP address of the Quickbooks drive location.

The (likely) reason you are unable to access the Quickbooks server that was formerly accessible is (most likely) because your new router has (most likely) assigned a new or different range of IP's to devices (since I'm betting it's set up to use DHCP), than the range of IP's that were formerly assigned by the old router.

If you don't want the problem again in the future (e.g., in the event you lose power, or have to reset your router or devices, which could result in new IP's being assigned with DHCP), you should go into the router's firmware and assign each device a fixed IP address.

BTW, I see from the photo in your first post that the names of the mapped drives use drive labels. You'll have better and more consistent results if you use the actual IP address of the computer\drive that you're trying to map. For example, rather than using "\\Adminxxxx\qb" you might try to use the actual IP for that computer assigned by the router. If for example, your router has assigned a range of IP's to your LAN of "192.168.1.x" then map the drive manually by using "\\192.168.1.x\qb". Again though, if you want to insure access every time you reboot the "remote" computer, you need to have the router give the "server" a fixed IP so that your mapped drive link will always work.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!