What's new

GT 5300 QOS settings question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarkManX4lf

Occasional Visitor
Hello. So I am new to qos settings. I have 3 Ring cameras that I want to make sure it gets highest priority for bandwidth. How do I set that up in the Asus QOS settings ?

not sure if it's the same for GT5300,
for my ac3100, go to adaptive QoS page, drag the priority setting over the device should let you set up the priority for each device.
Untitled2.png
apply after you are done.

I assume the device setting take precedence before the categories.

Go to Game Boost then look at QoS tab there.

Marin

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 6.11.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 6.11.29 PM.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 6.09.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 6.09.02 PM.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 866
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 6.14.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 6.14.18 PM.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 1,071
not sure if it's the same for GT5300,
for my ac3100, go to adaptive QoS page, drag the priority setting over the device should let you set up the priority for each device.
View attachment 14509
apply after you are done.

I assume the device setting take precedence before the categories.

Thanks. I didnt know you could drag and drop the priority. I gave the 3 cameras highest so lets see how it goes.

I guess I have to enable game boost right? Do I have to enable app analysis as well ?

My main issue is that at certain times my Ring cameras record choppy video and I think its when other devices are using lots of my bandwidth. Hopefully setting the Ring cameras to highest will solve that.

Thanks. I didnt know you could drag and drop the priority. I gave the 3 cameras highest so lets see how it goes.

I guess I have to enable game boost right? Do I have to enable app analysis as well ?

My main issue is that at certain times my Ring cameras record choppy video and I think its when other devices are using lots of my bandwidth. Hopefully setting the Ring cameras to highest will solve that.

Yes you have to activate it.

Whereas your app analysis will be under the Traffic Analyzer tab (below Game Boost). You don’t necessarily need to activate this as it is not related to QoS. This is simply to show you how all the installed apps are being utilized during certain timeframes. Under the Statistics tab you can also view which clients are utilizing more bandwidth than others.

And yes there will be a QoS-Traffic monitor tab included in the Traffic Analyzer as well that will show your in and out packets for both the wired and wireless devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ya i found that out by accident as well (i dont read manual >.<)
app analysis just give you detail info on each device.
Dont think you need to enable it, unless you wonder what is consuming the bandwidth on each device.

As far as for game boost on 3100, it turns on Adaptive QoS with game priority setting.
Not sure how it works on 5300.
You might need to change the priority based on your need, and that's where app analysis might come in handy

I dont know if Adaptive QoS prioritize within lan network though.

Hopefully it works out for you.

Yes the layout is very similar as that of RT-AC5300. Once you activate QoS, you are presented with a variety of modes (Games, streaming, etc) that you can choose from based on your needs which places it at the highest bandwidth priority once selected or you can simply choose the Custom mode and assign certain activities the priority you like from highest to lowest.

You can also choose between Automatic vs Traditional QoS and can allow the router to automatically set bandwidth limitations for you (auto mode) or you can do it your self (manual).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Are the Ring cameras 1080p?
  • You say the Ring record choppy video. Are you recording to Ring site? If so, what is your internet speed (up/down)? Is the choppy video during certain times of day or random based on when other devices are used?
  • When you say other devices, what are they doing?
The reason why I am asking these questions is to determine if your issue is caused by a home network, other device usage, or your internet connection. Analyzing the traffic with the built in function of the ASUS may help determine what's going on.

I tried using QoS on my AC86U to ensure video streaming 4k UHD was king, though I did not have any issues without QoS. What I found is that with QoS enabled video streaming was still not impacted but all my other traffic was. For me, QoS was unnecessary. I have a 200Mbps/11Mbps connection.

• Are the Ring cameras 1080p?
  • You say the Ring record choppy video. Are you recording to Ring site? If so, what is your internet speed (up/down)? Is the choppy video during certain times of day or random based on when other devices are used?
  • When you say other devices, what are they doing?
The reason why I am asking these questions is to determine if your issue is caused by a home network, other device usage, or your internet connection. Analyzing the traffic with the built in function of the ASUS may help determine what's going on.

I tried using QoS on my AC86U to ensure video streaming 4k UHD was king, though I did not have any issues without QoS. What I found is that with QoS enabled video streaming was still not impacted but all my other traffic was. For me, QoS was unnecessary. I have a 200Mbps/11Mbps connection.
Yep all 3 Ring cameras are 1080p and it records to the Ring site. My speeds are 900/900 (roughly).

Other devices are browsing, streaming, gaming etc.

The Ring cameras are connected by wifi and specifically to the 2.4ghz network. I initially thought the signal was poor at each camera but I tried a speed test at each location and the speeds were enough for a 1080p stream according to Ring.

and same issue for the 3rd if you connect it over 5G?
try lowering video format for the 2 units to see if that is your problem.

and same issue for the 3rd if you connect it over 5G?
try lowering video format for the 2 units to see if that is your problem.

Yeah the third on 5ghz does the same. Unfortunately Ring controls the recording format an quality, the user cannot change it.

From what I understand, the most you can jam through 2.4Ghz is 54Mbps on a good day. The reality is, other devices in your network will use 2.4Ghz. 1080p HD needs about 11Mbps. Your internet speed is adequate unless there are issues with the service. So how do we fix this?

Get a second router and cascade it down from your 5300. Assign only your Ring cameras to the new router, obviously with a different SSID. With a second router, you are assured that no other WiFi device will steal 2.4Ghz bandwidth away from Ring. Hopefully, the routers will automatically choose different 2.4Ghz channels. If not, force it yourself.

From what I understand, the most you can jam through 2.4Ghz is 54Mbps on a good day. The reality is, other devices in your network will use 2.4Ghz. 1080p HD needs about 11Mbps. Your internet speed is adequate unless there are issues with the service. So how do we fix this?

Get a second router and cascade it down from your 5300. Assign only your Ring cameras to the new router, obviously with a different SSID. With a second router, you are assured that no other WiFi device will steal 2.4Ghz bandwidth away from Ring. Hopefully, the routers will automatically choose different 2.4Ghz channels. If not, force it yourself.
When you say to cascade the second router, do you mean by wired or like a wireless extender?

When you say to cascade the second router, do you mean by wired or like a wireless extender?
It should be wired with the only thing using the second router's WiFi being the cameras. Just configure the second router as if it was being plugged into a modem.

It should be wired with the only thing using the second router's WiFi being the cameras. Just configure the second router as if it was being plugged into a modem.
Ah ok. I would say the second router should also be located in closer location to the cameras. It's a little hard to get a ethernet cable to where I would like to locate the second router.

you could use a 5G repeater (80MHz channel bandwith) in between of the cameras and your router, that should be fast enough. Use a guest SSID only for the 2 or 3 cameras on both.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!