What's new

GT-AC 5300 vs RT-AX88 LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello there I have an odd question, between the GT-AC 5300 vs RT-AX88 what on if any will haven better lan and QOS setup? I will be putting Merlin on the AX88 and that’s is kinda why I want to up/sidegrade routers. I game only on LAN so I don’t think dropping from 3 to 2 radios should be that big of a deal given I’m in a smaller place now and everything that can be wired is wired.

Last edited:
Hello there I have an odd question, between the GT-AC 5300 vs RT-AX88 what on if any will haven better lan and QOS setup? I will be putting Merlin on the AX88 and that’s is kinda why I want to up/sidegrade routers. I game only on LAN so I don’t think dropping from 3 to 2 radios should be that big of a deal given I’m in a smaller place now and everything that can be wired is wired.

I highly doubt you’d see any difference at all.

@John DeLuca, what are your ISP speeds?

A properly set up (M&M Config) RT-AX88U with RMerlin 384.15_0 firmware and a USB drive in Ext4 with journaling enabled (amtm Step-by-Step Guide) and a swap file plus amtm + Diversion/Entware + Unbound will be effectively untouchable on a fast connection. :)

The advantages of RMerlin are not simply additive, they are greater than the sum of their parts and give another quality altogether. :)

Even taking into account the advantages of Merlin?

Are you referring to traffic between wired clients and an internet facing service (like steam or epic etc), or to workloads on the router itself (file sharing, streaming from a share on the router)?

If the former, the bottleneck will be your internet connection. If the latter, the bottleneck will be the router / connected device.

More of trafic from lets say PS4 or desktop to server. I do have a odroid xu4 that runs pi-hole but doubt that would benefit. Does Merlin offer fq-Codel? The QOS of the default growth-ac5300 doesn’t seem to be that good

On another note, is there a point when QOS is no longer needed when you have such a high bandwidth and not too many devices on network? Only think I would think of is bufferbloat. Also, what’s the best QOS setting for that router, I was told adaptive QOS with manual cap of 75-80% bandwidth.

On another note, is there a point when QOS is no longer needed when you have such a high bandwidth and not too many devices on network? Only think I would think of is bufferbloat. Also, what’s the best QOS setting for that router, I was told adaptive QOS with manual cap of 75-80% bandwidth.

They normally Say 500Mbps+ you don't need it.

You also need to add how many users and what they are doing on the connection.

Limiting factor is 40Mb/s on upload! Only here bufferbloat may or will occour if your clients upload all at the same time.
For your download speeds it can only be worse with any QoS, no need for it any more.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!