What's new

GT-AC2900 looses WAN on 386.5_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sak231

New Around Here
My GT-AC2900 looses WAN on 386.5_2. it happens randomly. In the past it fixeitself after a few min. Today it was down for an hour until I reset the unit.

I'm not sure if it happened on 386.5 as it wasn't installed more than a week before _2 was released and auto updated.

Is there a way to trouble shoot this? The only features I use are parental controls and wifi.
Thanks

My GT-AC2900 looses WAN on 386.5_2. it happens randomly. In the past it fixeitself after a few min. Today it was down for an hour until I reset the unit.

I'm not sure if it happened on 386.5 as it wasn't installed more than a week before _2 was released and auto updated.

Is there a way to trouble shoot this? The only features I use are parental controls and wifi.
Thanks
Does it loose the WAN IP address or is it a DNS failure? There have been several "Lost Connection" reports recently that I feel are suspect and may in fact be DNS troubles. Good place to start is to change the DNS Server 1 and 2 to something reliable such as Quad9 or Cloudflare.

How could I tell the difference?

The connection graphic on the router page showed no internet till I rebooted. Current dns is google..

Anyone have any advise?
The Internet Status Page will show if the router has a WAN IP address. You can also toggle the internet connection off then back on to reconnect without a reboot.
I would try something other than Google DNS.
Might be a good idea to replace the Ethernet cable between yout router and modem or ONT.
I also need to ask if you did a factory reset and manual reconfigure after flashing Merlin firmware?

If you are not using other Merlin features you may be better off going back to the Asus firmware.

As you are using Parental Control you likely have a family to keep safe. AiProtect and a DNS service such as Quad9 will help.

I think this issue is a dns issue. Finding any site I want to browse to take 1-3 seconds before the site is found and loaded. Loading larger sites take longer to and I think it's because the router is searching for Content Delivery Servers longer

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!