What's new

GT-AC5300 and RT-AC5300 aiMesh setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whatawindeeday

New Around Here
Hi , I'm having trouble setting up RT-AC5300 as Ai node wireless.

GT-AC5300 - main Ai mesh router is on the 2nd floor .
x2 RT-AC68U - one in the living room and the other is on 3rd floor , successfully added these two as Ai nodes (wireless) , no problems at all .
RT-AC5300 - I have successfully added this as AI node only via wired cable setup and never had been successful via wireless setup .

My plan is to put the RT-AC5300 in the 1st floor but it goes offline on wireless setup .
Tried setting up cables from 2nd floor to 1st floor but the cables always gets damaged by rodents .

Tried setting up RT-AC5300 as main Ai mesh router and GT-AC5300 as Ai node via wireless setup and no problems at all . But I want the GT-AC5300 as the main router for more features .

Welcome to the forums @whatawindeeday.

What firmware are all the routers running? Are they at least on the same code/AiMesh base?

Do you perform a full reset on them before using them in a different mode? Not just the one(s) you're changing operation mode on, but all of them (before you try setting up a new network). And, without using a saved backup config file either (on any of them).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Are you using old SSIDs? With spaces, smiley faces, punctuation, or other 'illegal' characters? At least test with new SSIDs to eliminate this possible issue.

Why 8 Alphanumeric SSID Characters

Of course, wired backhaul is the way to go. But whether you use a wired backhaul or not, please fix the rodent issue too for other than network issues! :)