What's new

GT-AC5300 not powering on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe012594

Regular Contributor
In need of some help. A couple of months ago, a storm came through the area and lightning struck real close to the house. I had the GT-AC5300 in a closet on the exterior wall of the house where all of the coax and Ethernet cables come in. When the lightning struck, power went down for a split second and then came back on. The modem and router powered back up but the AC5300's WAN port and LAN ports 1-6 no longer functioned at all. Only 7 and 8. I could no longer get internet as a result and wound up ordering the GT-AX11000 as a replacement. The AC5300 still functioned ok. Just not the Ethernet ports. Modem was somehow damaged too and also had to be replaced.

I shelved it for a bit after ASUS told me that the router was out of warranty. It wasn't because I bought it off of Amazon last year but whatever. I had tried a factory reset to see if that would help and no dice. Shelved it again for a bit. Today, I tried to upload the prior firmware release to the router and it immediately bricked the router. I powered it off and then back on and the lights won't even turn on now. All from uploading firmware to restore it.

My question is:

1. Is there anything more I can do before considering either RMA/tossing it?

2. Is it cheaper to do RMA or should I just toss it and get a new router?

Are you sure you flashed the correct firmware for your model?

If it's out of warranty, how can you RMA it?

Unless you can reasonably expect to get a free replacement, I wouldn't waste my time.

Are you sure you flashed the correct firmware for your model?

If it's out of warranty, how can you RMA it?

Unless you can reasonably expect to get a free replacement, I wouldn't waste my time.
Yep. Went to the GT-AC5300 support page and downloaded the previous firmware file.

Your router was killed by the lightning if you open the casing you'll likely see scorched board and components , not something that is covered by any warranty.

Your router was killed by the lightning if you open the casing you'll likely see scorched board and components , not something that is covered by any warranty.
That's the thing though. The router, even though the Ethernet ports stopped working, still functioned normally. It only died when I tried downgrading the firmware to the prior version.