What's new

GT-AC5300 not using 2nd DNS define in settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jerie-

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a ROG GT-AC5300 as my main wireless router. As of late (a week), I've been having problems with Amazon . com loading slowing or not at all. Now, I'm using OpenVPN client with NordVPN and it's a known issue that Amazon is limiting/blocking access from NordVPN, but discovered that if I use my own DNS servers (3rd Party) and not the VPNs DNSs, Amazon loads fine. As I've stated, as of late, Amazon has become an issue again, loading slowing and hanging at "establishing secure connection... etc". No matter what I've done, changing VPN servers and protocols, same issue.

My configuration is as:
- ROG GT-AC5300 (192.168.50.1) with firmware - v3.0.0.4.384.21045
- DNS1 and DNS2 are local Pi-hole Servers (raspberry pi 3s) using 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 to resolve DNS. [WAN setting].
- Local system is using DNS1 and of course, 192.168.50.1 as DNS servers for clients in LAN setting.

Long story short, by accident today, I've noticed that DNS2 has hardly been used by my network for DNS resolution for about a week now. Usually, since it's secondary, it only gets a few hundred a day. But as of late, only 10-15 hits a day and only by the server itself (127.0.0.1); whereas DNS1, has all the traffic. With some testing, it would seem that only DNS1 is being used. Oddly, if DNS1 is powered down, all clients would start using the VPNs DNS and not local DNS2. WTF? Even if DNS2 is also powered down, DNS is getting resolved. Can someone explain to me how this is even happening? Only DNS1 and 2 are configured and yet the router skips 2 and goes to a undefine 3? Is anyone having this problem? I've had firmware v3.0.0.4.384.21045 installed for a about a week now and its at that point that I've been having Amazon problems.

Thank you.

What if you don't connect VPN and power down dns1? Clients are going to dns2?
That's a simple scenario and if it fails, then you should submit feedback to Asus.
By adding VPN into discussion they may not be that willing to accept this as a bug. Or maybe it only happens when you have a vpn and then yoully have to do the hard work to convince them.

Reactions: kfp
What if you don't connect VPN and power down dns1? Clients are going to dns2?
That's a simple scenario and if it fails, then you should submit feedback to Asus.
By adding VPN into discussion they may not be that willing to accept this as a bug. Or maybe it only happens when you have a vpn and then yoully have to do the hard work to convince them.
I've done that already. Even with DNS1 down and disconnected from VPN, how I don't know, but all traffic is going to VPNs DNS, bypassing local DNS2. Took DNS2 down and still getting DNS resolution from VPN DNS. With both local DNS down, rebooted GT-AC5300 and sure enough... now router fails to resolve DNS. So brought back DNS2 and all is working. Even brought back DNS1 and all clients are now using DNS1 and DNS2 again. Try to explain that. Re-enable VPN and problem is back again. Going back to previous firmware to see if issue is solve.

Well, back to previous firmware (3.0.0.4_384_20648) and all is well again. Have VPN up and running again. Amazon . com loads and working fine and both local DNS servers are working as they should. Take DNS1 down and clients use DNS2 to resolve DNS. Take both offline and DNS errors, as it should. Latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384.21045) is not working for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!