What's new

GT-AC5300 region unlock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bogdi1988

Occasional Visitor
Looking to unlock the GT-AC5300 to be able to select different channels. I have a lot of 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks around me and the router gets some massive interference on some channels. Need to be able to go to like 13 on the 2.4 and the low 100s in the 5 range.
Has anyone done it?

AFAIK providing instructions for modifying routers to operate on channels they are not legally allowed to is against forum policy.

What region are you in and what channels do you currently have access to?

It's probably an academic question as the wireless code is closed source and locked down anyway.

1-11 for 2.4, 36-48 and 149-165 for 5G. I have a couple neighbors that run on 106. I have about 10 5G networks around me with overlapping channels and they are causing interference, especially in the lower 5G.

I am merely looking to figure out how to change router region - I know different regions have different channels that are available to them. There are many posts/threads on how to do that in this forum so not sure how the policy gets enforced if that is truly the case.

So it looks like you're in the US. Normally you would also have legitimate access to channels 50-144. So you don't need to change the region as you're entitled to use more channels than most other countries in the world!

I suspect (but I might be wrong as I don't have the same router) that channels 50-144 are not selectable because it is a tri-band router and having two transmitters so close to each other on adjacent frequencies will interfere with each other. Also, channels 50-144 are DFS which adds complication in a tri-band setup.

So the short answer is, changing the region will only make your options worse. (Non-US routers also have less power)

I understand. I would want to use DFS in the low 100s. I know some regions have those channels enabled and with the same level of power - ex: Russia.

As I mentioned, I believe it's a design choice by Asus to limit channel selection when operating two 5GHz transmitters.

As an experiment you might try turning off one of the 5GHz radios and then seeing if you can manually select a channel between 50-144 for the other radio.

You can't. It's hard locked in the bootloader.

Looking to unlock the GT-AC5300 to be able to select different channels. I have a lot of 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks around me and the router gets some massive interference on some channels. Need to be able to go to like 13 on the 2.4 and the low 100s in the 5 range.
Has anyone done it?
I bought in Japan GT-AC5300 and cannot change the Japanese to English user interface, also stuck with it and cannot to find a way how can I do it :( any advises are welcome.