What's new

GT-AX11000 5G SSID keeps disappearing or not responding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahmadka

Regular Contributor
I'm trying out a new ASUS GT-AX11000 and I have this issue that the 5G SSID keeps disappearing or not responding (i.e. no internet connectivity on it). All devices on my network (e.g. phones, smart devices, computers) notice this. I'm using the latest Asus firmware and I reset to factory settings after the update to make sure the settings are freshly defined. This issue happens every couple of days and the fix is to reboot the router.

Is this some sort of known issue ?

I haven't tried the merlin firmware yet but I can do so if really needed, and if that fixes this.

You reported exactly the same problem two years ago with your Netgear router. Perhaps this indicates some local environmental issue rather than a problem with the routers themselves.

Are the any clues in the router's logs (System Log - General Log, System Log - Wireless Log)?

hehe, yes I have experienced this issue before, however I've used two TP-Link routers between then and now, Archer A7 & AX11000, and I didn't have this issue with either of them. The A7 was my router for at least 3 years and I never faced this issue. Recently I decided to try out the AX11000's from TP-Link & ASUS, and I used the TP-Link one for like a month and that also was fine. Then I started using this ASUS AX11000 about 2 weeks ago and I've already experienced this issue 3-4 times in these two weeks. I can check the router's logs next time it happens if it mentions any logs about this.

The Netgear router I posted about was returned by me because of that issue. I was trying to upgrade to something more recent than the A7, but ended up reverting to A7 again.

Another thing perhaps worth pointing out is that in the case of this ASUS AX-11000 router, it's always the first 5G SSID (i.e. 5G-1) that blanks out. The 2.4G and the second 5G SSID (i.e. 5G-2) still keep working.

Another thing perhaps worth pointing out is that in the case of this ASUS AX-11000 router, it's always the first 5G SSID (i.e. 5G-1) that blanks out
That was one of the things I was wondering about. If you're forcing the bandwidth to 160MHz for example and the router detects some interference from another AP perhaps it's shutting itself down. Again, the logs should indicate this.

That was one of the things I was wondering about. If you're forcing the bandwidth to 160MHz for example and the router detects some interference from another AP perhaps it's shutting itself down. Again, the logs should indicate this.

Okay, so this happened again today. This time I didn't restart router right away and waited to see if it would self-recover. As before, only the first 5G band became unresponsive, during which time it exhibited weird behavior such as the following: 1) I can connect to the SSID but can't browse the internet, 2) The SSID is showing up, but I can't connect to it, 3) SSID not even showing up at other times. The other 2.4G and second 5G band still worked fine. One time, I also restarted my iPhone and after restart I tried connect to the second 5G band and I saw a weird error (see attached screenshot), however it didn't show again on my second attempt to connect. The issue partially went away after about 2 hours, and now it's working fine but sometimes there's a few seconds delay in some internet activity.

Another thing, I thought it might be a router issue so I exchanged the router a few days ago. This replacement router has been online since about 6 days. This issue started about 9-10 hours ago, around 9am (log timestamp) today. At around 10am I downloaded the router log and the log had everything since I started using the router about 6 days now. Now at the moment of writing this at around 6pm, I again look at the router and I see that there's been some much log activity that the router overwrote 6 days worth of data. In other words, the log activity today has been more than the log activity for the last 6 days combined! So there's definitely some information in the logs I would say. I have attached both logs. 'syslog1' is what I saw around 10am today, while 'syslog2' is from right now.

The only odd thing I see is a lot of log lines like this happening today, particularly for a few specific devices: "Deauth_ind 74:D4:23:4A:10:42, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0"

Not sure if it's related to the 5G issue or not.

Any help in diagnosing this would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• syslog2.txt
    423.1 KB · Views: 46
  • syslog1.txt
    352.8 KB · Views: 41
  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 33

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!