What's new

GT-AX11000 WAN bandwidth limited

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frewster

New Around Here
Hi,

First time poster here, so hello everyone.

I'm running a GT-AX11000 with asuswrt-merlin 388.2 connected to an NBNco fttp/ftth service in Australia.

Since having my fibre connection commissioned in January, I've been subscribed to a 400/50Mbps service with my retail service provider.
The RSP gives their customers the ability to switch their service speed up and down on demand.
My 400/50 service was pretty consistently giving me 410-420/47 Mbps down/up speeds according the asuswrt built-in Ookla speedtest.

Last night I thought I'd try upping the speed to the next tier, 1000/50Mbps.

The very next speedtest I carried out showed 713/47 which I would have been reasonably happy with. However, since then, EVERY test I've carried out has given me similar speeds to what I was getting on the 400/50 tier.
I've tried rebooting the router, bouncing the WAN interface, and a full power cycle to no avail.

My RSP said Asus routers often need QoS enabled with manually configured down/up bandwidths to get higher speeds. I've tried all of the QoS options and if anything, they reduce the speeds I can obtain.

As a sanity check, I cracked open and configured the eero router the RSP sent me when I signed up and it was showing a 970/48 connection speed so the issue is definitely with my Asus router.

Can anybody smarter than me suggest any configuration settings to look at that might be impacting my connection speeds or this just to be expected?
I'm quite comfortable going down to the shell level if there's anything I should be look at there.

Thanks in advance people.

Frewster

Welcome to the forums @Frewster.

You can try withdrawing all permissions from the Administration, Privacy tab, reboot, and test again.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, create a backup config file from the GUI and put it in a safe place.

Perform a full reset to factory defaults and test at each step while setting up your network again.

If the issue continues to persist, remember you can simply perform a full reset again, import the saved backup config file you created, and get back to where you are now in 5 minutes or less. (Note: this works best when not flashing different firmware between creating the backup file, and re-importing it).

Welcome to the forums @Frewster.

You can try withdrawing all permissions from the Administration, Privacy tab, reboot, and test again.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, create a backup config file from the GUI and put it in a safe place.

Perform a full reset to factory defaults and test at each step while setting up your network again.

If the issue continues to persist, remember you can simply perform a full reset again, import the saved backup config file you created, and get back to where you are now in 5 minutes or less. (Note: this works best when not flashing different firmware between creating the backup file, and re-importing it).

Wow! I did the withdraw privacy permissions as you suggested, did a reboot and now the speedtest is showing 830/47. Will monitor for a bit and see what happens.

Would there be any negative effects from that in terms of AiProtect and the like?
I run SkyNet and Diversion in any case so I'm not sure how much benefit I am getting from the Trend stuff anyhow.

Thanks for your advice.
Frewster

When you withdraw, you disable AiProtect.

A full reset followed by only setting the features and options you want (today) may still give you your full speed, even with AiProtection enabled. But the only way to know is by doing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!