What's new

GT-AX11000 & WireGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dog-man

Occasional Visitor
I have a GT-AX11000 router running Auswrt-Merlin firmware.

I see that later versions of firmware support WireGuard.
I subscribe to 'Private Internet Access' VPN.
I have used OpenVPN for some time, but of course it reduces internet speed greatly.
I know nothing about WireGuard, except that I believe it doesn't slow down your Internet speed very much.

Can anyone please point me to any guides on setting up that are easy for a novice to understand?
Is WireGuard as private as OpenVPN?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Last edited:
No there isn't. My mistake.

GT-AX11000 is what I should have typed. :D
Thanks for the clarification. I suggest you edit your thread title with the correct model and ask the moderators to move this thread to the Merlin forum as you're asking about something that's specific to Merlin's firmware.

GT-AX11000

WireGuard on this router may slow down the entire network. Incompatible with NAT acceleration, 350-400Mbps WAN-LAN is what the CPU can do. Newer models on updated SDK have flow cache bypass available, but not this model. You may have to drop the idea if the VPN speed is what you are after.

WireGuard on this router may slow down the entire network. Incompatible with NAT acceleration, 350-400Mbps WAN-LAN is what the CPU can do. Newer models on updated SDK have flow cache bypass available, but not this model. You may have to drop the idea if the VPN speed is what you are after.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, increased speed is what I am seeking.

What you can realistically expect on your router:

OpenVPN - ~200Mbps
WireGuard - ~350Mbps with the limitation above

For more - x86 hardware with more CPU power and no NAT acceleration dependent

What you can realistically expect on your router:

OpenVPN - ~200Mbps
WireGuard - ~350Mbps with the limitation above

For more - x86 hardware with more CPU power and no NAT acceleration dependent
Maybe I won't bother then. :D Perhaps when I next need to replace my router.

I would say don't bother with public VPN services. If you are after security and privacy - look somewhere else.

I would say don't bother with public VPN services. If you are after security and privacy - look somewhere else.
Can you clarify that for me?

Should I wish to pursue WireGuard in the near future, can you recommend any routers I should consider?

Can you clarify that for me?

We clarify that on regular intervals here on SNB Forums. Many threads about public VPN services around.

Should I wish to pursue WireGuard in the near future, can you recommend any routers I should consider?

No home All-In-One router will do much better than yours and the speed to shared services is never guaranteed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!