What's new

GT-AX6000 and 386.6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MyPal

Occasional Visitor
Like the GT-AX6000 box so far with 386.6. OpenVPN is at minimum 50mbps faster with the modest extra grunt.

A few bugs:

JFFS backup/restore functions not working on XT12 and GT-AX6000. (known)

Observed the following on RT-AX88U/386.5.2 as well as GT-AX6000/386.6.

VPN Director policies do not restore from backup.
VPN client custom configuration do not restore from backup.
VPN Crypto keys and certificates go missing after restore from backup.

Apart from that, I like this box so far. The Aura RGB light is a good indicator if config is good or box is reset. No issues with hard factory resets either.

Compromise is less switch-ports and no jumbo frames. Not fussed for this deployment.

Last edited:
As for WiFi speeds 160MHz no problems after swapping out the antennas with RT-AX88U spares I had. The GT antennas have fragile connectors and are gimmicky. I had one come apart at the base.

Last edited:
VPN Director policies do not restore from backup.
VPN client custom configuration do not restore from backup.
VPN Crypto keys and certificates go missing after restore from backup.
This is normal. All of these are stored in the JFFS partition due to size limitations of nvram, so you must back up that partition as well.

Do you still have your bad antenna? It would be cool to see a picture of it disassembled to show what is really inside all that plastic.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a clear shot. Essentially the nut fell off (sorry no pic) which has the other half of the SMA connector. A Teflon grommet fell out, which isolates the center core. It seats back in, no problem and the assembly pushes back fairly snug but evidently not as tight as it should. Problem is the center core is probably sheered when it came apart. I suspect it is not solid core but stranded wire! I really couldn't be bothered with warranty, I may send back the offending antenna at some stage.

I had a spare set of RT-AX88U antennas which I don't use. They are thinner and more adjustable than the bulkier GT-AX6000 antennas. The 6000 antennas have this red transparent plastic that don't even light up. They're just so bulky and trashy, like a cheap plastic toy.

Certainly I would recommend using other antennas if you can. There are many alternative options.

As for core temps, they appear to be the same as the RT-AX88U.

Attachments

• GT-AX6000-ant-1.jpeg
    GT-AX6000-ant-1.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 121
  • GT-AX6000-ant-2.jpeg
    GT-AX6000-ant-2.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 124
I guess I'm curious because I'd like to see how far up the plastic shell the antenna sits. I really hope there is a good reason for these antennas being the size they are because while for me it's a great router, it does look like bad tech that escaped from Red Dwarf!