What's new

GT-AX6000 - Beginner Setup (Merlin etc)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taklop

New Around Here
Hey all!

Am relatively new to custom firmwares etc and seeing the power that routers can have.
I just got the Asus GT-AX6000 to replace my Netgear R7800. Wanted WiFi6 and slightly better hardware.

I'll be using WiFi to connect pretty much everything (Besides a philips Hue bridge and an old NAS connected via ethernet).
I use this connection to WFH (Plenty of zoom / slack calls, screen sharing etc) as well as gaming, streaming video, VR, and potentially some server hosting and stuff too.

I'm going to install the new asuswrt-merlin firmware onto it, thinking about what else I can do that I didn't previously know about.
EG I had wanted to set up a pihole before, but from my reading, I can use something like Division, or something like Unbound (or both) with merlin?

I saw a thread where people talked about all sorts of software, like FlexQoS etc.

tl;dr Just got Asus GT-AX600, what settings should I change, and what should I install? I am not afraid of CLI stuff and tinkering if needed.

Really appreciate it!

I've set up the router with all the stuff you mention in the best practises links.

Do you have any suggestions for additional things to add like Diversion, Unbound, flexQOS etc? Mostly looking for performance/stability, ad blocking, privacy in that order

Look at the amtm step by step guide. Note that you don't need to install it anymore.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!