What's new

Solved GT-AX6000 - Control Channel Auto issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starrbuck

So while evaluating an RT-AX89X to go with my new 2 gig Internet service, I am also trying out a GT-AX6000 and noticed an issue. When I set the bandwidth to 20/40/80/160 and have the Control Channel on Auto, it will not go into 160MHz mode. It sets the channel on 153 or 157 usually and stays in 80MHz. I can manually set the channel to 100 and it does 160MHz. For the RT-AX89X, 100 is the channel it usually settled on when set to Auto and 160 MHz works. This means on my 160MHz the data rate is 1201Mbps at 80MHz and 2402Mbps at 160MHz and the speedtests are representative of the difference. Has anyone else seen this with their GT-AX6000 and/or have any suggestions?

160MHz wide channel is not guaranteed. If the router senses activity on DFS channels, it will not use 160MHz channel.

So while evaluating an RT-AX89X to go with my new 2 gig Internet service, I am also trying out a GT-AX6000 and noticed an issue. When I set the bandwidth to 20/40/80/160 and have the Control Channel on Auto, it will not go into 160MHz mode. It sets the channel on 153 or 157 usually and stays in 80MHz. I can manually set the channel to 100 and it does 160MHz. For the RT-AX89X, 100 is the channel it usually settled on when set to Auto and 160 MHz works. This means on my 160MHz the data rate is 1201Mbps at 80MHz and 2402Mbps at 160MHz and the speedtests are representative of the difference. Has anyone else seen this with their GT-AX6000 and/or have any suggestions?
I have my AX86U 5 GHz on auto channel at 20/40/80/160 MHz bandwidth. Yes, it does run at 80 MHz a lot but does switch up to 160 MHz when an AX client connects. I do not have the use DFS option checked as I have a couple of ROKU's that use WIFI remotes that can't use DFS channels. My router usually uses channel 44 or 48.
Trust your router. Use Smart Connect and auto channel. It does work!

I have my AX86U 5 GHz on auto channel at 20/40/80/160 MHz bandwidth. Yes, it does run at 80 MHz a lot but does switch up to 160 MHz when an AX client connects. I do not have the use DFS option checked as I have a couple of ROKU's that use WIFI remotes that can't use DFS channels. My router usually uses channel 44 or 48.
Trust your router. Use Smart Connect and auto channel. It does work!
On Auto, the router does not rev up to 160MHz when on Auto and connected to a 160MHz client. The RT-AX89X does in the exact same placement and environment.

On Auto with DFS enabled, it's on channel 149 right now and connected to an AX client at 80MHz. I have confirmed with a wifi analyzer that the only 5GHz active in my area is on channels 48 and 157. All the DFS channel show completely clear.

on ax89x, i forced 160mhz dfs, as long as my clients can detect dfs channels, they can connect, even for ac clients.

i guess to set auto is when you have too many clients to micro manage. but auto comes with a slight performance or latency hit i will assume

on ax89x, i forced 160mhz dfs, as long as my clients can detect dfs channels, they can connect, even for ac clients.

i guess to set auto is when you have too many clients to micro manage. but auto comes with a slight performance or latency hit i will assume
Yes, when it switches channels due to interference or whatever you could expect a spike of a disconnect. I think channel 100 runs clear in my area and the clients appear to be fine. I just liked the idea of auto detecting problems and having the router react accordingly. But I do also like to set things myself based on my own decisions.

Yes, when it switches channels due to interference or whatever you could expect a spike of a disconnect. I think channel 100 runs clear in my area and the clients appear to be fine. I just liked the idea of auto detecting problems and having the router react accordingly. But I do also like to set things myself based on my own decisions.

I use Smart Connect with same SSIDS; and set the mode to Auto, the bandwidth to 160MHz, and the control channel to 36-48 (non-DFS):

160MHz AX client uses channels/frequencies 36-64 (52-64 DFS);
20/40/80MHz clients use channels/frequencies 36-48 (no DFS).

If I use a DFS control channel, some older clients will not connect... they don't know those channels, so no control for them.

Fortunately, I have no channel 36-64 interference here, DFS or otherwise.

OE

I use Smart Connect with same SSIDS; and set the mode to Auto, the bandwidth to 160MHz, and the control channel to 36-48 (non-DFS):

160MHz AX client uses channels/frequencies 36-64 (52-64 DFS);
20/40/80MHz clients use channels/frequencies 36-48 (no DFS).
I love that scheme! Unfortunately I've got a neighbor sitting on channel 48.

I love that scheme! Unfortunately I've got a neighbor sitting on channel 48.

I'd try it anyway... especially if their signal is ~-80dBm or more negative... and you are trying to minimize DFS disruption.

OE

I'd try it anyway... especially if their signal is ~-80dBm or more negative... and you are trying to minimize DFS disruption.
Great minds think alike! He's around -78dBm so it may not interfere much. I just tried it and an AX client is connecting at 2402Mbps. You may have helped me greatly!

Great minds think alike! He's around -78dBm so it may not interfere much. I just tried it and an AX client is connecting at 2402Mbps. You may have helped me greatly!

Now hold out for your neighbor's Auto channel to move out of your way and you'll be golden! :)

Even if it doesn't move, it may not be a problem for you.

OE

I love that scheme!

Footnote: For WiFi6 tri-band, this scheme puts clients on 5-1 (2x2) and the AiMesh dedicated wireless backhaul on 5-2 (4x4)... as the OEM intended, imo.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!