What's new

GT-AX6000 Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

00trini

New Around Here
Hello,

I am having a really hard time with my new Asus gt ax6000. My old mesh node died so i decide to buy the ax6000 and turn my old ax88u into node.

I setup everything and when i speedtest i was only receiving about 400-550, so i searched the forums and tried some config settings. After that my speed became max 100mbs, so i changed it all back and stayed at 100mbps tops. The setting i played with was bandwidth, channels, agile, no mu mimo, no beamforming etc.

Decided the factory reset and start again.

Now I'm receiving 600-700mbps, better than before but still not up to par. thought of changing 1 setting a time and try again, first setting changed no beam forming.

BOOM down to 80-100mbps, this makes no sense so i changed back speed stays the same. I am at the point now where i think this router is a dud because how can 1 setting destroy my wireless speeds even when set back.

Some info as to why i am soo confused. i have 1.5gbs isp service, the router internal speed test gets 1.6-1.8gbps. My node is hardwired and i have a computer hardwired which receiving max 1gbps because port limitation on ax88u. When i am downstairs testing wireless from my phone on node i received 800-880mbps, same phone upstairs on new router 100mbs.

I am so confused i have a s21 which is wifi 6 and speeds are better on my old ax88u standing same distances? i honestly thought with the 2.5gbs port and receiving full service i would be able to get something over 1gbs at least.

Any suggestion and help is much appreciated I'm at the point i might return because this honestly seems like its a dud router.

Something is not good with the wireless settings on the GT-AX6000. One suggestion I have is to try disabling 160 MHz bandwidth if you have it enabled. You may also want to make sure that the wifi device you are using for speed testing is actually connecting to the GT-AX6000 and not the AX88U.

Yes wifi device is confirmed on correct router when testing. I will try but i never had an issue with 160mhz when ax88u was main.

So now after 12 hours looks like the router "fixed" itself but still subpar speeds. I am now getting ~800mbps on ax6000 and about 600-700mbps on ax88u. This is still off because i was getting 880mbps before on my ax88u node and excepting at least over 1gbps on ax6000.

I tried disabling 160mhz no change. Set control channel seemed to give consistent results rather than auto.

Any other suggestions? My old setup with 88u and 86u node was pushing better speeds then this and that was a 1gb port!

Suggestions? Start by using the WIFI defaults including dual band SmartConnect. Don't use DFS channels. And let the routers run for a while before checking bandwidth or speed as you call it. Just might be possible the AX6000 is detecting some interfaces the old routers missed. And use Asus firmware to start and make sure it is up to date!
If the WIFI works well speed or bandwidth is not important. Most folks spend too much for bandwidth they never use.

Yup on stock and defaults up to date except for recently setting the control which has helped. Well wifi didn't work good for the most part yesterday my streaming devices were struggling but that seems clear now.

I will monitor it for now just sucks having worse performance than my old setup even with new setup taken advantage of full bandwidth with 2.5 port

Might try out merlin on weekend

The best I do with a Comcast 1.3 gbps internet using a DOCSIS 3.2 modem with my GT-AX6000 is about 750 mbps on either a 3x3 AC connection or a 2x2 AX connection with 160 MHz disabled. I hit 12xx mbps with a wired 2.5 gbps connection to my GT-AX6000, so I'm thinking that any rate higher than 750 mbps over wifi must have happened during a stable 160 MHz bandwidth connection.

The best I do with a Comcast 1.3 gbps internet using a DOCSIS 3.2 modem with my GT-AX6000 is about 750 mbps on either a 3x3 AC connection or a 2x2 AX connection with 160 MHz disabled. I hit 12xx mbps with a wired 2.5 gbps connection to my GT-AX6000, so I'm thinking that any rate higher than 750 mbps over wifi must have happened during a stable 160 MHz bandwidth connection.
ditto

So now after 12 hours looks like the router "fixed" itself but still subpar speeds. I am now getting ~800mbps on ax6000 and about 600-700mbps on ax88u. This is still off because i was getting 880mbps before on my ax88u node and excepting at least over 1gbps on ax6000.

I tried disabling 160mhz no change. Set control channel seemed to give consistent results rather than auto.

Any other suggestions? My old setup with 88u and 86u node was pushing better speeds then this and that was a 1gb port!
If you have wifi 6 clients and want wifi speeds significantly greater than 1gps, then trade in the 6000 for something AXE capable that can broadcast on the 6GHZ band. The 5GHZ band generally sucks thanks to radar restrictions.

Gotcha, the other issue im noticing while monitoring is devices stay on 2.4 even tho 5 is available and good signal. I want to play with those thresholds but every time i make any changes this router goes extremely slow for a while lol. Even the node handoff are funky and not consistent. Going try merlin and see, if it's still working oddly will return for ax88u pro.

Been on asus routers for many many years this is the first time im experiencing random issues like this.

Gotcha, the other issue im noticing while monitoring is devices stay on 2.4 even tho 5 is available and good signal. I want to play with those thresholds but every time i make any changes this router goes extremely slow for a while lol. Even the node handoff are funky and not consistent. Going try merlin and see, if it's still working oddly will return for ax88u pro.

Been on asus routers for many many years this is the first time im experiencing random issues like this.

RT-AX88U Pro is likely to be identical hardware in a different package.

Have you seen these 2 Dong Knows blogs re: best settings on ASUS routers? Made a huge improvement in the connection performance of my gt-ax6000s:

Ya i was thinking if i can't get this one up and never having issues with ax88u the pro would be a good replacement. Maybe it's antenna placements worked well for my house.

@slackjaw99 Great articles will read and adjust over the next couple days and report back thanks!

Using my Galaxy S23 to the GT-AX6000 with Comcast 1.2G, Ookla Speedtest shows 1411/41.8.
My laptop wired gets 1411.93/41.93 and wireless 1357.48/41.47.
The GT-AX6000 Internet Speed page (Merlin) shows 1395.23/41.57.
5GHz wireless channel 36, 160MHz enabled. AX only.
So it is possible to get over 1Gbps down wired and wireless on the GT-AX6000.

Using my Galaxy S23 to the GT-AX6000 with Comcast 1.2G, Ookla Speedtest shows 1411/41.8.
My laptop wired gets 1411.93/41.93 and wireless 1357.48/41.47.
The GT-AX6000 Internet Speed page (Merlin) shows 1395.23/41.57.
5GHz wireless channel 36, 160MHz enabled. AX only.
So it is possible to get over 1Gbps down wired and wireless on the GT-AX6000.

Yep, operational 160 MHz bandwidth required. As far as the OP's original problem of very low speeds with the GT-AX6000, I guess we'll hear what the OP finds out by adjusting the various settings.

So i've been tweaking and think im in a good place. Disabled 2.4 radio on node and increased thresholds so devices primarily stay on 5. For the most part i am getting better speeds around house. Roaming hand over to the node still needs work but ive binded a couple devices as a work around.
The router is no longer doing extremely low speeds for every change i make which is a huge plus as thats what made me feel it was a dud router.

Having said all that it seems @John_ was able to obtain more. I have a s22 and s21 both max out around ~800mbps 2 feet from router. He did mention hes on merlin so when weekend comes and i get time I'm going to test out that firmware. i also may look into the s23 and see how much different/better its wifi radio is compared to s22.

Having said all that it seems @John_ was able to obtain more. I have a s22 and s21 both max out around ~800mbps 2 feet from router. He did mention hes on merlin so when weekend comes and i get time I'm going to test out that firmware. i also may look into the s23 and see how much different/better its wifi radio is compared to s22.

Its only possible to do better than 800 mbps if there is a stable 160 MHz bandwidth connection. If you are trying 160 MHz bandwidth, have you looked in the wireless log or the Network Map to see if you are getting a stable 160 MHz wide connection?

Here's a screenshot from the Wireless Log page with the S23 connected.
I'm sitting about 10 ft from the router.
Let me know if you need to see any of my settings.
1682044912818.png